Print

Student Communities Zone (16th March 2015)

Minutes

Switch to Agenda

Name of Committee Student Communities Zone
Date and time 16th March 2015, 12:00
Place
Present Members
(voting)
Vice President Student Communities Anjit Aulakh
Post-Graduate (Taught) Students Officer Ed Baird
Equality & Diversity Officer Sam Bailey
Absent with Apologies Union President David Mendoza-Wolfson
JCR Officer Frankie Mouat
National Oceanography Centre Officer David Allwright
Vice President Welfare Beckie Thomas
Absent without Apologies Union Council Representative (Union Councillor) Vansha Sethi
International Officer Shailesh Agarwal
PGR Students' Officer Ioan Alexandru Barbu
Southampton General Hospital Officer Leo McCormick Matthews
Union Council Representative (Union Councillor) Rebecca Lake
Student Group Representative Jithin Mullappillil
Winchester Site Officer Juliette Bijoux
Non-members Charlotte Graham
Christopher Small

Actions and Decisions

TypeDescriptionWho
Action Invite Anjit to the Equality and Diversity meeting Sam Bailey
Action Ask Paul for information of who attended the subtitled screening on Interstellar and use Banner to analyse. Karik Isichei
Action Decide how to measure impact and success of the next screening. Sam Bailey
Action Find out how the Student Groups AGM is working this year Karik Isichei
Action Provide Bunfight update at the next meeting Anjit Aulakh
Action Talk to Sophia D'Angelico about faculty contacts Anjit Aulakh
Introduction
1. Apologies

See above

2. Minutes of previous meeting

Meeting not quorate, and therefore passing of minutes has been postponed until the next meeting. 

Matters Arising
3. Anjit will advise committee of any matters arising

None.

International Students
4. Update

Officer not present.

On 17/3, the Global Village event is taking place, which has been organised with AIESEC. There are 11 societies participating. 

Shailesh has booked for the ICCE night- Anjit will meet and discuss this with him. 

The African Carribean Society's Culture Festival is going to be in the Guildhall, as there is no space in SUSU available. Sam Baily is getting exact costs to show the Student Communities committee, and this will come from the E&D budget. 

Post Graduates
5. PGR update

Officer not present- no update available. 

6. PGT update

Chris Small, Karik Isichei and Anjit Aulakh have arranged a meeting with Alex Barbu and Ed Baird to discuss a plan for post-graduate engagement. 

JCRs
7. Update

Officer not present.

Anjit is currently looking at JCR recruitment for fresher reps. He has created a focus group with previous JCR reps to get ideas about how bewst to recruit and what they need to do. He will bring the results of this discussion to the Student Communities Zone to discuss further. 

Gateway halls are opening so will need reps- Anjit is planning to have stand in, interviewed, JCR reps for them.

Student Sites
8. NOC update

Officer not present- no update available. 

9. SGH update

Officer not present- no update available. 

10. WSA update

Officer not present- no update available. 

Equality and Diversity
11. Officer update

They are currently working on a sexual harrassment campaign (#sotonspeaksout on Twitter). They are meeting with Solent's VP Welfare, and creating a night pledge that they are aiming to get sports teams and other large societies to sign the contract to encourage other people to. The aim of the pledge is to make people feel able to challenge behaviour. They are meeting with interested parties on Thursday, and then discussing the results of that discussion in the E&D meeting on Friday. 

They are trying to arrange another subtitled screening with Union Films, with the aim that providing a subtitled screening will become standard. They are looking at how to measure the impact of these screenings. 

Sam needs to do a follow up on the LGBT month- he is planning on doing a survey to gauge how people felt it went and how far reaching it was. 

International Women's Week is happening at the moment. FemSoc hosted Vagina Monologues in the Bridge and had to turn people away due to selling out. There is a panel event on 16/3 in Bar 2, and other events going on this week. 

Action Invite Anjit to the Equality and Diversity meeting (Sam Bailey)
Action Ask Paul for information of who attended the subtitled screening on Interstellar and use Banner to analyse. (Karik Isichei)
Action Decide how to measure impact and success of the next screening. (Sam Bailey)
Any Other Business
12. AOB

Funding guidelines

  • We need to write funding guidelines for the Student Community zone to make it easier for societies to apply for funding and to write good applications. 
  • Groups need training on where to apply
  • Need to be more aware of conflicting sponsorships and how to manage them

 After Easter, Student Communities needs to discuss:

  • TEDx talks for post-graduates
  • PGT careers events
  • Language Cafe
  • Post-graduate freshers packs, and freshers week in general
Action Find out how the Student Groups AGM is working this year (Karik Isichei)
Action Provide Bunfight update at the next meeting (Anjit Aulakh)
Action Talk to Sophia D'Angelico about faculty contacts (Anjit Aulakh)

Key: P (Papers Provided), PF (Papers to Follow)