Print

Creative Industries Zone (27th April 2015)

Minutes

Switch to Agenda

Name of Committee Creative Industries Zone
Date and time 27th April 2015, 13:00
Place Union Southampton Board Room
Present Members
(voting)
Vice President Democracy and Creative Industries Megan Downing
Wessex Scene Editor Tahlie Cooper
Surge Radio Station Manager Hannah Mylrea Hemmings
Student Groups Representative Jamie Hanna
The Edge Editor Rebecca James
PA Officer Anna Kent - Muller
Union Councillor Catriona Philip
Absent with Apologies Union President David Mendoza-Wolfson
Union Films Cinema Manager Sophie Isherwood
SUSUtv Station Manager Joanna Sheldon
Absent without Apologies Vice President Student Communities Arun Aggarwal
Non-members Bridie Pearson-Jones
Christopher Evans
Dan Linstead
Kerry Sclater
Natalie Fordham

Actions and Decisions

TypeDescriptionWho
Decision Careers Season will be week commencing 2nd November 2015. Megan Downing
Action Ensure Culture Cafe won't clash with exams - check timetables. Megan Downing
Action Remind committees to complete their expense forms by July. Sophie Isherwood, Tahlie Cooper, Hannah Mylrea Hemmings, Joanna Sheldon, Rebecca James, Anna Kent - Muller
Action Inform everyone when drop in sessions will be held. Charlotte Cloud
Action Look into budgets to reinburse people for conferences. Megan Downing
Action Send out handbooks to Student Leaders Megan Downing
Action Provide deadline for handbooks to be returned. Megan Downing
Decision New structure of committee for Surge
Decision New by law for PA
Welcome to meeting
1. Apologies

1.1   Megan read the apologies, as listed above.

Minutes from previous meeting
2. Actions

2.1 All minutes approved from previous meeting.

Officer Updates
3. Round table updates

3.1 Rebecca was pleased that The Edge had received 800,000 hits on the website, which she hopes will rise to 1 million by September. They are planning the Festivals issue which will be published soon.

3.2 Tahlie reported that they were Highly Commended for Best Design at SPANC. Also that the Elections issue is due to land imminently.

3.3 Anna told everyone that the PA ball is this Sunday and this year sees the most tickets ever sold for the ball. She is also currently reviewing the underwritten process.

3.4 Jamie had nothing to report.

3.5 Hannah had a brilliant time at the Surge awards on Saturday, where the industry professionals were very impressed.

Creative Industries Career Season
4. Dates

4.1 Megan suggested the Creative Industries Careers Season would be held the week commencing 2nd November 2015. All committee members agreed this would be the best time.

Decision Careers Season will be week commencing 2nd November 2015. (Megan Downing)
PA Bid
5. Anna to lead

5.1 Anna reported that she hasn’t had any applications so no action is needed today. She advised the committee that Theatre Group no longer want to be underwritten for Edinburgh.

CI Showcase and Culture Cafe
6. Progress

6.1 Charlotte informed the committee that the Culture Café used to be run by the University to engage students with the Arts. We are now responsible for delivering the event and getting students to go along. As we need to push back the Creative Industries showcase due to lack of participants, we are now hoping to combine both events to show everyone what we do at SUSU for cultural output.

6.2 The date proposed for this is the first week of June. The committee were concerned that the dates would clash with exams; Megan will look into exam timetables to ensure this won’t be the case.

Action Ensure Culture Cafe won't clash with exams - check timetables. (Megan Downing)
Finance
7. Charlotte to lead

7.1 Charlotte held a successful drop in session for people who needed help with their expense claims. She urged everyone to remind their committees that expenses need to be submitted sooner rather than later as after July, the budget will disappear and no further expenses can be claimed.

7.2 Charlotte will inform everyone when the next drop in sessions will be held.

Action Remind committees to complete their expense forms by July. (Sophie Isherwood, Tahlie Cooper, Hannah Mylrea Hemmings, Joanna Sheldon, Rebecca James, Anna Kent - Muller)
Action Inform everyone when drop in sessions will be held. (Charlotte Cloud)
Conference Update
8. Megan to update on recent conferences

8.1 Megan began by telling everyone the SPA conference we hosted was brilliant. She has also been elected onto the next SPA committee which she is very excited about.

8.2 Megan has written a blog about the NATSAs which will be published soon.

8.3 Chris suggested we begin to do a ‘Pick of the Week’ in collaboration with other Universities to promote videos.

8.4 Megan also attended the SRA conference in Exeter and she is still typing up notes for Surge and has lots of contacts to pass on to Kerry for next year.

8.5 Rebecca asked about being reimbursed for the conferences. Megan will be going through the finances and working out what money we have left in the budgets. She will then be in touch with everyone to let them know how much money they will be getting back. 

Action Look into budgets to reinburse people for conferences. (Megan Downing)
AGM Dates
9. Committee to tell each other when their AGMs are scheduled

 

The Edge – 27th April

Wessex Scene – 28th April

PA – 29th April

Surge – 5th May

SUSUtv – 6th May

UF – 10th May

Social Media
10. Facebook

10.1 Megan announced that we will be launching a Creative Industries Facebook page. We are just waiting for the branding to come through. We will use it to show off all the amazing work we do.

10.2 Sarah Lock and Charlotte Cloud will be the administrators but Megan, and then Kerry, will be the ones who work to spread the word.

10.3 Kerry suggested we could use a Google Doc for the Media Heads.

10.4 There will be resources on the page such as Careers Sessions, conferences and competitions. There will also be pinned posts on the page for people to refer to.

Handovers and Handbooks
11. Reminders

11.1 Megan will be sending everyone their handbooks and would like people to go through them and make edits where necessary, then send back. Megan will then send them to the new committees for them to change their details and add AGM information to them.

11.2 These are to be saved to the J Drive.

11.3 Megan will give everyone a deadline of when the handbooks need to be returned.

11.4 Hannah used this opportunity to ask for the committee to vote on her new structure of the Surge committee. All voted in favour of her changes.

11.5 Anna also asked for the committee to vote on her doing a new by law for PA. The vote was unanimous in her favour.

11.6 Megan suggested everyone check the job descriptions if they needed help with filling in their handbooks.

Action Send out handbooks to Student Leaders (Megan Downing)
Action Provide deadline for handbooks to be returned. (Megan Downing)
Decision New structure of committee for Surge
Decision New by law for PA
Volunteering Activity
12. Chris Small to lead

12.1 Sarah Lock, Megan Downing and Charlotte Cloud left the meeting and Chris Small led the volunteering activity.

Any other Business
13. Committee to bring up AOB previously sent as an agenda item.

13.1 None

Key: P (Papers Provided), PF (Papers to Follow)