Print

Student Communities Zone (26th November 2015)

Minutes

Switch to Agenda

Name of Committee Student Communities Zone
Date and time 26th November 2015, 17:00
Place Union Southampton Board Room
Present Members
(voting)
Vice President Student Communities Emily Harrison
International Students' Officer Nancy Bui
Student Communities Zone Student Group Representative Rebecca Lake
Equality & Diversity Officer Caitlin Doyle
Halls Officer Flora Noble
Union Council Representative (Union Councillor) Harriet Averill
Union Council Representative (Union Councillor) Arun Aggarwal
In Attendance
(non-voting officers and staff)
Student Communities Zone Co-ordinator Emily Hamilton-Peach
Democracy Assistant Ed Baird
Absent with Apologies Vice President Education Shruti Verma
Union President Ben Franklin
Postgraduate (Research) Students Officer Mike Allwright
Winchester Campus President Ryan Notman-Watt
Absent without Apologies National Oceanography Centre Officer David Allwright
Medical Society President Iona Maxwell

Actions and Decisions

TypeDescriptionWho
Action Flora to look into how the quiz idea could work. Flora Noble
Action Emily to look into advertising space at the Highfield Interchange. Emily Hamilton-Peach
Action Emily to make sure that all new members are in the Student Communities Facebook group. Emily Hamilton-Peach
Action Emily to invite Caitlin to the Halls Committee training. Emily Hamilton-Peach
Action Nancy to speak to Ryan about Welcome to our World festival at Winchester. Nancy Bui
Action David to speak to Sam about buses to the NOC. David Allwright
Action Flora to speak to External Engagement about their Community tea project. Flora Noble
Introduction
1. Welcome and apologies

Anjit welcomed eveyone to the meeting. Apologies were recieved from Ben Franklin, Mike Allwright, Ryan Notman-Watt and Shruti Verma. Darren Richardson was also in attendance.

2. Minutes of the previous meeting

Actions from the previous meeting:

Nancy to speak to Ryan – not happened yet.

David to meet with Sam about buses to NOC – not happened yet

 

The minutes were approved.

Action Nancy to speak to Ryan about Welcome to our World festival at Winchester. (Nancy Bui)
Action David to speak to Sam about buses to the NOC. (David Allwright)
International Students
3. Nancy to update

Welcome to our World festival now has a volunteer team to help run the event. As part of the festival, there are workshops planned, looking at how culture affects the way we think, which would be useful for both international students and those who want to study abroad. 

Global Project team has been set up and are in the process of creating a survey as well as mapping out the key stakeholders at the University.

Halls Committee
4. Flora to update

Rep awards – a chance to recognise all the hard work that’s gone on over Freshers’ and a really nice way to round off the freshers’ period and say thank you.

Elections for Halls Committees – there were 92 nominations and by-elections are being held for the unfilled positions in the JCR Committee meeting later. There has been lots of positive feedback about the quality of applications compared to previous years.

Training for Halls Committee positions – one generic session for everyone and then specific training for each position, aimed at making them much more effective. Caitlin asked if there would be inclusivity training for all the elected positions. It was explained that there would be and it would be great if Caitlin could be involved in the training.

Started making handover document for JCRs to Halls Committee so the new committees can get started in their roles straight away.

Action Emily to invite Caitlin to the Halls Committee training. (Emily Hamilton-Peach)
Postgraduate
5. Mike to update on postgraduate research

As Mike was unable to make the Committee meeting, Anjit updated the Committee that nominations are currently open for the four positions the PGR Committee.

Darren asked about the PGR Committee by-law and asked for the decision to be made publicly available.

6. Anjit to update on postgraduate taught elections

Anjit updated the Committee that Ruchika Menon had been elected as the new PGT Officer.

Emily reported that as part of The Student Engagement Partnership (TSEP) project, she has been looking at postgraduate engagement, mental health and community engagement.

Diversity
7. Caitlin to update

Interfaith week – a lot of events from various societies and the chaplaincy. The week ran really smoothly and the chaplaincy have reported an increase in number of people attending the events compared to last year.

Have a Jolly-Day – on Wednesday 9th E&D are hosting an event alongside various student groups, promoting equality and mindfulness. The event will comprise of numerous stalls on things like mental health, sexual health as well as providing free tea and hot chocolate to hand out. There will also be free taster sessions throughout the day and an evening event of music, dance and spoken word with a raffle.

8. Anjit to update on work of Mature Student and Student Parent Network

Anjit reported that there had been some confusion about the Christmas Lights switch on event, because student parents felt that they had been excluded from the event. This had led to a wider discussion about what SUSU does for mature students and they are looking at making things more professional, with a proper logo and budget.

Student Groups
9. Rebecca to update

Rebecca reported that the student groups in the Zone are still intermingling, with an international dinner held last week, which was well attended. A few groups had been organising events on different sites which would hopefully lead to more interest from other groups. Also the Student Groups Committee had met and had discussed the Student Groups debt situation to make the funding process more efficient.

Rebecca also spoke about a Winchester survey that she had been working on with Emily to ask students in Winchester what they think about societies. Rebecca also said that she was planning an event about sponsorship training, which would help a few of the groups a lot.

National Oceanographic Centre (NOC)
10. David to update

Anjit and Emily went to the NOC and spoke to Rachel Mills about student space at the NOC. Currently there are two rooms, one room for socialising and one with computers for work. They have secured a sum of money to renovate the space and have control over the branding as well plans to advertise SUSU more at the NOC.

Winchester School of Art (WSA)
11. Ryan to update

Two sets of elections have been held. There were 37 positions available and 28 filled, compared to 13 filled last year. Now the academic structure has been put in place, they can now focus on the pastoral care and support side.

Southampton General Hospital (SGH)
12. Iona to update

Iona has been giving Anjit and Emily feedback about what sort of events they’d like to see at SGH.

Darren also brought up the issue of security at SGH. Emily asked Darren to email her the details who will then make Sam Bailey aware of the situation.

Any other business
13.

Anjit used the remaining time in the meeting to give the Committee the opportunity to come up with ideas that Committee members could collaborate on.

3 main ideas were discussed:

Debates – the Committee discussed how the Debating Society have recently been collaborating with different societies and holding debates on issues relating to that particular society, which have been really successful.

A series of events involving tea – people would meet on different themes of diversity and have a chat, similar to the Community tea project in External Engagement Zone.

Quiz idea – inter halls quiz. There was a discussion about whether that would exclude people who weren’t in halls, but it was explained that they would fall under the private rented group.

 

Anjit also spoke about the Culture Week project – a week showcasing different cultural societies and was looking into setting up a working group for the project.

Rebecca also updated the Committee that they had received 64 respondents so far for the Avenue Campus survey.

As there was no other business the meeting was closed at 18:26.

Action Flora to look into how the quiz idea could work. (Flora Noble)
Action Emily to look into advertising space at the Highfield Interchange. (Emily Hamilton-Peach)
Action Emily to make sure that all new members are in the Student Communities Facebook group. (Emily Hamilton-Peach)
Action Flora to speak to External Engagement about their Community tea project. (Flora Noble)

Key: P (Papers Provided), PF (Papers to Follow)