Print

Student Communities Zone (28th January 2016)

Minutes

Switch to Agenda

Name of Committee Student Communities Zone
Date and time 28th January 2016, 17:00
Place Union Southampton Board Room
Present Members
(voting)
Vice President Student Communities Emily Harrison
Postgraduate (Research) Students Officer Mike Allwright
Student Communities Zone Student Group Representative Rebecca Lake
Halls Officer Flora Noble
Winchester Campus President Ryan Notman-Watt
Union Council Representative (Union Councillor) Harriet Averill
Union Council Representative (Union Councillor) Arun Aggarwal
Postgraduate (Taught) Students Officer Ruchika Menon
In Attendance
(non-voting officers and staff)
Student Communities Zone Co-ordinator Emily Hamilton-Peach
Democracy Assistant Ed Baird
Absent with Apologies International Students' Officer Nancy Bui
Vice President Education Shruti Verma
Union President Ben Franklin
National Oceanography Centre Officer David Allwright
Medical Society President Iona Maxwell
Equality & Diversity Officer Caitlin Doyle

Actions and Decisions

TypeDescriptionWho
Action Flora to work with Arun and Halls Committee Board to organise a quiz. Flora Noble, Arun Aggarwal
Action Emily to look into advertising space at the Interchange. Emily Hamilton-Peach
Action Emily to add Global Project as a standing agenda point. Emily Hamilton-Peach
Action David to speak to Sam about buses to the NOC. David Allwright
Action Anjit to speak to Sophie to ensure postgraduate specific branding is thought about in the brand review. Emily Harrison
Action Ryan to speak to Ben Franklin about WSA in the brand review. Ben Franklin, Ryan Notman-Watt
Action Ryan to meet with Athena to talk about ideas for the Culture Week at WSA. Ryan Notman-Watt
Action Emily to set up a meeting between Ryan, Erasmus Park Committee and Michelle Keeley. Emily Hamilton-Peach
Action Harriet to get in contact with Frazer Delves and other interested persons to start organising the first event for DiversiTEA. Harriet Averill
Action Arun, Harriet and Flora to speak to Ben Franklin about the SUSU leaflet idea. Flora Noble, Harriet Averill, Arun Aggarwal
Action Anjit to talk to Michelle about the idea of displaying WSA artwork in the concourse. Emily Harrison
1. Welcome and attendance

Anjit welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes were approved.

Action Flora to work with Arun and Halls Committee Board to organise a quiz. (Flora Noble, Arun Aggarwal)
Action Emily to look into advertising space at the Interchange. (Emily Hamilton-Peach)
Action Emily to add Global Project as a standing agenda point. (Emily Hamilton-Peach)
Action David to speak to Sam about buses to the NOC. (David Allwright)
International Students Update
3. Update from Nancy about WOW festival

The Welcome to our World planning is going well and the event will be on 6th February 2016 on Avenue Campus is going well.

Ryan asked about a similar event in Winchester. Anjit said that realistically it wasn’t going to happen for next week, but would look to doing something at a different time.

4. Update from Anjit about other international events happening in zone

Republic Day (30/01/16) - in Garden Court from 18:00.

Chinese New Year (08/02/16) - Will include a countdown to the actual time and lots of events happening around various halls.

Holi (23/04/16 or 14/04/16) - To kick off Culture Festival the Indian society will host a Holi celebration on campus.

Global Project - Anjit explained that this was an ongoing project and now looking to get feedback from all sorts of different areas of the University.

Halls Committee Update
5. Flora to update on current work

The first Halls Committee Board was on 27th January 2016, and they now only have 13 unfilled spaces. The new Halls Committee have been really good with advertising refreshers events and making sure everything has run smoothly.

Postgraduate Students Update
6. Mike to update on PGR Committee

PGR Committee have all their positions filled and have recently met for the first time. Current projects include PGR mental health, a joint PGR social and looking at the demonstrator pay across faculties. Also the recent postgraduate You Are More Than events were popular and well attended.

The Committee also discussed marketing to postgrad students, and Anjit explained that it was something they would look at in the Brand Review.

Action Anjit to speak to Sophie to ensure postgraduate specific branding is thought about in the brand review. (Emily Harrison)
7. Ruchika to update on current ideas/work for PGT students

Looking at doing a dissertation hand in event and are going to contact each faculty about their different dissertation dates. Also looking at creating a handbook for future postgrad students because there is no physical document with all the information.

The Committee also suggested having You Are More Than events during the summer for PGT students.

Diversity
8. Caitlin to update on current work of the Equality & Diversity committee
Student Groups
9. Rebecca to update on current work

Rebecca reported that she had met with newly affiliated groups as well as helping groups with their various issues. Still looking at the possibility of holding a student groups forum every few months, which would be useful.

National Oceanographic Centre (NOC)
10. David to update on current work

The space allocation project is still ongoing.

Winchester School of Art (WSA)
11. Ryan to update on current work

Nominations are open for the WSA Committee positions as part of the Spring Elections. WSA is also establishing a social media identity on Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Ryan brought up the issue of Winchester’s brand identity and said that whilst there needs to be some consistency with the main SUSU branding, it can’t be the same thing just on a smaller scale. Anjit suggested that Ryan speak to Ben Franklin about it, as well as filling out the Brand Review survey that had been sent out.

The Committee spoke about longer term aims at Winchester and Anjit said that whilst they were good aims, that sort of thing would take time to happen and for now they were focusing on smaller more manageable things.

Action Ryan to speak to Ben Franklin about WSA in the brand review. (Ben Franklin, Ryan Notman-Watt)
Action Ryan to meet with Athena to talk about ideas for the Culture Week at WSA. (Ryan Notman-Watt)
Action Emily to set up a meeting between Ryan, Erasmus Park Committee and Michelle Keeley. (Emily Hamilton-Peach)
12. Approval of WSA By-Law

The WSA By-Law was approved.

Southampton General Hospital (SGH)
13. Iona to update on current work

There were a few issues about distributing money to their groups, which has now been solved.

Culture Week
14. Anjit to update on progress

Anjit and Emily spoke about the Culture Week and the various activities that had been planned so far.

 

15. Committee to discuss ideas and give feedback on the current plan

The Committee suggested tailoring the events to what is studied at each campus as well as doing events at halls. Arun suggested that The Bridge could be used to serve various international food.

Policy Review
16. Central Funding for Postgraduate Students

The Committee agreed that this policy should be lapsed.

17. Valuing Diversity

The Committee agreed that Anjit and Sam should meet to decide about what needs changing before reporting back to the Committee.

Other projects
18. DiversiTEA

Harriet volunteered to lead on the project and suggested to start small on Avenue campus. Anjit suggested getting Frazer Delves involved who was keen on going more events at Avenue and Mike suggested using a similar model as the Science Room events (e.g. a person introducing a topic), which has worked for them.

Action Harriet to get in contact with Frazer Delves and other interested persons to start organising the first event for DiversiTEA. (Harriet Averill)
19. Anjit to update on Avenue Campus Survey

The survey showed that there was a general consensus that Avenue students wouldn’t mind coming to Highfield for an event, but there was an issue with a SUSU presence at Avenue. They were now looking to do an audit of spaces that could be used.

20. New ideas- committee to discuss any new projects/ideas they want to move forward with

Mike asked about showcasing the work of WSA students in the SUSU concourse, particularly things that don’t need floor space.

Harriet spoke about the importance of highlighting the difference between SUSU and the University and having a small leaflet explaining what SUSU is. Anjit said that he would put Harriet, Arun and Flora in touch with Ben Franklin to develop the idea and possibly feed into Freshmag.

Action Arun, Harriet and Flora to speak to Ben Franklin about the SUSU leaflet idea. (Flora Noble, Harriet Averill, Arun Aggarwal)
Action Anjit to talk to Michelle about the idea of displaying WSA artwork in the concourse. (Emily Harrison)
Any Other Bussiness
21. Employability & Enterprise

Anjit explained that the Employability Officer was vacant and asked all officers to promote the position.

22. Reminder of RAG procedures

Anjit reminded the Committee that anyone looking to raise money for charities have to go through RAG first.

Key: P (Papers Provided), PF (Papers to Follow)