Print

Student Groups Committee (6th December 2013)

Minutes

Switch to Agenda

Name of Committee Student Groups Committee
Date and time 6th December 2013, 14:00
Place Meeting Room 2
Present Members
(voting)
Vice President Democracy and Creative Industries David Martin
External Engagement Zone Representative Anjali Parshotam
Education Zone Representative Lucy Upshall
Clubs and Societies Officer Jamie Hemingway
Sustainability Zone Representative William Cable
Student Life Zone Representative Cecelia McSweeney
Creative Industries Zone Representative Chris McGeehan
In Attendance
(non-voting officers and staff)
Student Activities Manager Nic Eldred
Democracy Assistant Katie Ng
Democracy Coordinator Guy Drury
Absent with Apologies Performing Arts Officer Laura Ellis
Absent without Apologies Student Communities Zone Representative Andreas Mathikolonis
Athletic Union Officer Lucy Dowdall
Non-members Anna Kent - Muller

Actions and Decisions

TypeDescriptionWho
Action Nic and Jamie to meet and discuss further the creation of the newsletter. Nic Eldred, Jamie Hemingway
Action Guy to make suitable amendments to Rule 10 and bring to the next Committee meeting to be approved. Guy Drury
Action Jamie will be working with CMT (Communications and Marketing Technology) to create a survey to send out to student groups.
1. Apologies and Attendance

Attendance and apologies were noted as above. Jamie introduced Anna Kent-Muller, Theatrical Societies Rep. Anna had been asked to attend by Laura who had sent her apologies.

2. Approval of Minutes from previous meeting

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved by the committee and all actions complete.

3. Storage Review

Jamie explained that SUSU will be carrying out a storage audit. It is a known problem that societies currently do not have enough storage space available to them and so, in an effort to tackle this problem, societies will be asked how much equipment they have, where it is stored, how much space do they have and is this space adequate. Furthermore, it would be useful to have information on available storage space for newly affiliated societies. Jamie asked the committee members if they had received any comments or complaints about storage. The majority voiced a similar opinion that storage is a big issue at SUSU and has been for some time now. 

Action Jamie will be working with CMT (Communications and Marketing Technology) to create a survey to send out to student groups.
4. Newsletter

Jamie talked about the creation of a newsletter specifically about Student Groups; it would include information such as feedback from student groups, announcements of awards received by groups and any information on competitions that SUSU groups had participated in. Jamie invited the committee to suggest more ideas for the newsletter. The aim of this publication is to increase and encourage participation of students in student groups. There was discussion surrounding the layout, content, format and frequency of the newsletter. Nothing was formally decided upon.   

Action Nic and Jamie to meet and discuss further the creation of the newsletter. (Nic Eldred, Jamie Hemingway)
5. Handovers

There has been some inconsistency in the way student groups handover their committees. Jamie explained that he would like to improve the handovers and asked the committee their opinions. David suggested some 'Your Skills' training sessions run by SUSU; Chris recommended written guides that can be passed on to the new committee. Anjali suggested a similar method to what ISOC use; an online database with information, complimented by a face to face handover. From a staff point of view, Nic explained that this would make it easier for admin procedures. The committee were generally in favour of this suggestion.  

6. Reforming the affiliation criteria

Guy explained to the group that Rule 10 (Student Groups) needs updating and amending. He will post possible suggestions on the Student Groups Committee facebook page. He will do this in time for the next committee meeting.

The issue of how many student groups SUSU can physically support was then brought up. Nic explained that there are two serperate projects happening; one of which is the 'Economy Project'. This project is aiming to provide an idea of how much money is being spent on student groups by SUSU, and also how much student groups are spending on SUSU facilities.

David explained that there is also the 'Student Review 2014' project which will be reviewing how the support packages are working.   

Action Guy to make suitable amendments to Rule 10 and bring to the next Committee meeting to be approved. (Guy Drury)
7. Affiliations

1. University of Southampton TED Society

  • This group attended the previous Committee meeting and were asked to return with more information, which they presented.
  • Committee moved to a vote; 7 voted for. This group was AFFILIATED and assigned to the External Engagement Zone.

2. African Maritime, Finance, Gas and Oil Society

  • This group attended the previous Committee meeting and were denied affiliation. However, there were discussions after the meeting and in light of new information, they were invited to this meeting. 
  • Committee moved to a vote; 6 voted for, 1 abstained. This group was AFFILIATED and assigned to the External Engagement Zone.

3. Southampton Taiwanese Society

  • This group attended the previous Committee meeting and were told that their application form was incomplete; they were told to send their completed form again and attend this meeting where a decision would be made.
  • The committee moved to a vote; 6 voted for, 1 abstained. This group was AFFILIATED and assigned to the Student Communities Zone.

4. Honk Kong Public Affairs and Social Service Society

  • It was decided that this group met the criteria outlined in Rule 10, section 2.
  • Committee moved to a vote; 4 voted for, 3 abstained. This group was AFFILIATED and assigned to the Student Communities Zone. 

5. RSPCA Society

  • This group confirmed that they had the permission of the RSPCA to use their name and it was decided that they met the criteria outlined in Rule 10, section 2.
  • Committee moved to a vote; 6 voted for, 1 abstained. This group was AFFILIATED and assigned to the External Enagement Zone.

6. University of Southampton Angling Society

  • It was decided that this group met the criteria outlined in Rule 10, section 2.
  • Committee moved to a vote; 7 voted for. This group was AFFILIATED and assigned to the Sports Development Zone.

7. Southampton University Futsal Club

  • It was decided that this group met the criteria outlined in Rule 10, Section 2.
  • Committee moved to a vote; 6 voted for, 1 abstained. This group was AFFILIATED and assigned to the Sports Development Zone.
8. Any other business
  • David asked for the support of the committee in his bid to purchase large lockers for Level 1 of the SUSU building. These will be used for storage space for student groups. The committee voted in support of David's bid.
  • Jamie asked whether anything was being done to improve the Activities Room. David answered that maintenance will be carried out on it in order to improve this space for the groups who use it. 
9. Date of next meeting

The next Student Groups Committee meeting will be held on Friday 7th March 2014, 2pm  in Meeting Room 2.

Key: P (Papers Provided), PF (Papers to Follow)