Print

Student Communities Zone (30th January 2014)

Minutes

Switch to Agenda

Name of Committee Student Communities Zone
Date and time 30th January 2014, 14:00
Place Meeting Room 1
Non-members Charlotte Cloud
Marcus Burton

Actions and Decisions

TypeDescriptionWho
Decision Minutes Approved Thomas Gleeson, Henry Pearson, Oli Coles, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu, Samrand Salih
Action To follow up SGH issues with £100 fee Oli Coles
Decision Minutes Approved under the condition that a campaign officer is added to the International Committee By-Law Henry Pearson, Oli Coles, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu, Samrand Salih
Action Send out the Zone Plan in the up and coming days Oli Coles
Action Bring up academic concerns and issues of medical students with David Mendoza-Wolfson Oli Coles
Action Rewrite policy: 0910P14 – Site Surgeries David Gilani, Beckie Thomas, Thomas Gleeson, David Gunns, Amy Harwood, Henry Pearson, Sohaib Rufai, Andreas Mathikolonis, Oli Coles, Roberto Gregoratti, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu, Samrand Salih
Action Rewrite policy: 0910P6 – Proposal on Halls Accommodation for ERASMUS and Exchange Students David Gilani, Beckie Thomas, Thomas Gleeson, David Gunns, Amy Harwood, Henry Pearson, Sohaib Rufai, Andreas Mathikolonis, Oli Coles, Roberto Gregoratti, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu, Samrand Salih
Action Gather available information on part-time students from Advice Centre Oli Coles
Action Add the appointment of a part-time student representative as an agenda point for next meeting Oli Coles, Karik Isichei
Action Ensure next year's VP Student Communities to work with postgraduate officers to create new policies for postgraduate students Oli Coles
Action To discuss fixed payment billing system with David Gilani Oli Coles
Action To pass on pre-sessional and postgraduate student housing issues with Beckie Thomas Oli Coles
Action Discuss lockers and benches with Sohaib Rufai
Action Discuss price of lettuce issue with James Leeman Oli Coles
Action Discuss conversion of NOC space with David Gilani Oli Coles
Action Send out a doodle poll to set a new meeting time and day Karik Isichei
Action Chase up issues with Transport to sites Oli Coles
Action Find students to nominate themselves for current positions Thomas Gleeson, David Gunns, Amy Harwood, Henry Pearson, Sohaib Rufai, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu
1. Apologies & Attendance

Apologies read.

At the time of this meeting the role of Student Activities Coordinator for Student Communities was not filled. Charlotte Cloud (Student Activities Coordinator for Creative Industries) was present as acting coordinator during this meeting. Marcus Burton (Student Trustee) was also present to advise on the policy review. 

2. Matters Arising

Run through of actions from previous Minutes see attached document.

First Action: Completed.

Second Action: Will be read for approval during this meeting (item 3).

Third Action: Only some reports sent before the meeting.

Forth Action: Alex Barbu [AB] passed on the contact information of Jawad Bhatti [JB] to the relevant people.

Fifth Action: Currently working on getting the vending machine removed

Sixth Action: Is on agenda

Seventh Action: Completed in one to ones

Eighth Action: Samrand Salih [SS] informed Oli Coles [OC] that Southampton General Hospital [SGH] are asking for £100 for taxis that take students around the south for two years. This came fee came in when the government cut university funding. The issue is that the students who are still on the old student fee system are being asked to pay this £100. OC to follow this up.

Ninth Action: One to ones completed

Tenth Action: Completed

Eleventh Action: Completed

 

Decision Minutes Approved (Thomas Gleeson, Henry Pearson, Oli Coles, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu, Samrand Salih)
Action To follow up SGH issues with £100 fee (Oli Coles)
3. International Committee Minutes

JB: What will be the role of officers without Portfolio?

OC: They are there to give the committee extra members to be used to help out.

Campaign officer needs to be added to International committee bylaw.

International committee will exist once democracy rectifies policy.

 

Decision Minutes Approved under the condition that a campaign officer is added to the International Committee By-Law (Henry Pearson, Oli Coles, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu, Samrand Salih)
4. Zone Plan Approval

OC states that the Zone Plan is almost done and is it going well.

The Zone Plan has comes from the initial plan and what the committee have said to Oli through the one to ones.

 

Action Send out the Zone Plan in the up and coming days (Oli Coles)
5. Policy Review

Marcus Burton [MB] states that there are too many policies that all overlap, so a student led working group was set up over the summer which submitted their recommendation to the zone committees who need to approve policies.

 See paper attached named “Recommendations from the Union Policy Review (II)” for references to policies that are recommended to be retained or lapsed.

Policies recommended to retain:

1112P17 – Recognition of International Identification

APPROVED

1112P3 – Halls Fees

APPROVED: To be passed through union council with mandate, will receive a mandate next Tuesday

1011P19 – Valuing Diversity

APPROVED

In the discussion of this policy SS brought up the following:

Medics are having a lot of grievances with the way their course is run. Medsoc is not seeming fit for purpose in dealing these matters. There have been a lot of lecture cancellations where students were not informed. These include very important lectures. When the students complained they were told they have the lecture slides and should get on with it themselves. They let their faculty officer and course coordinator know and nothing has been done with it. OC will bring this up with David Mendoza-Wolfson (VP Education).

0910P14 – Site Surgeries

Committee to take away and rewrite it as it is dated. Democracy will send out a mandate to rewrite.

0910P6 – Proposal on Halls Accommodation for ERASMUS and Exchange Students

OC wants to change “mandate president” to “mandate VP student Communities”. Committee to rewrite policy. 

0506P35 – Advice to International Students

APPROVED

 

Policies recommended to lapse:

0910P40 – Halls’ Wardens

APPROVED

0910P31 – International Students’ Officer Executive Officer

APPROVED

0910P30 – Part-Time Students

APPROVED

OC will gather information from the advice centre to estimate the number of part-time students that have approached them.

Next SC Zone Committee meeting will have the appointment of a part-time student representative as an agenda point.

0910P23 – Private Rented Society

APPROVED

0910P11 – University Graduate Centre

APPROVED – Under the following condition: Action next years’ VP Communities to work with postgraduate officers to create new policy for postgraduate students and to add these into next year’s strategy.

0910P9 – Southampton General Hospital Common Room Space

APPROVED

0910P7 – Postgraduate Social Calendar Provision

APPROVED

0910P3 – Postgraduate Students Alumni Discount

APPROVED

In the first recommendation of attached paper “Recommendations from the Union Policy Review (I)” OC: wants to change “further cohorts” to “other communities”. 

 

Action Bring up academic concerns and issues of medical students with David Mendoza-Wolfson (Oli Coles)
Action Rewrite policy: 0910P14 – Site Surgeries (David Gilani, Beckie Thomas, Thomas Gleeson, David Gunns, Amy Harwood, Henry Pearson, Sohaib Rufai, Andreas Mathikolonis, Oli Coles, Roberto Gregoratti, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu, Samrand Salih)
Action Rewrite policy: 0910P6 – Proposal on Halls Accommodation for ERASMUS and Exchange Students (David Gilani, Beckie Thomas, Thomas Gleeson, David Gunns, Amy Harwood, Henry Pearson, Sohaib Rufai, Andreas Mathikolonis, Oli Coles, Roberto Gregoratti, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu, Samrand Salih)
Action Gather available information on part-time students from Advice Centre (Oli Coles)
Action Add the appointment of a part-time student representative as an agenda point for next meeting (Oli Coles, Karik Isichei)
Action Ensure next year's VP Student Communities to work with postgraduate officers to create new policies for postgraduate students (Oli Coles)
6. International Students

JB states that international fees will be fixed for all 3 years expect for medical students whose student fees work differently and thus they would not benefit being incorporated into these fixed yearly fees. 

International students that live in private accommodation either need a UK guarantor or to pay a large about of money (usually 6 months of rent) in advance. JB had a meeting with David Gilani who said University of Southampton (UoS) are currently working on a scheme where they act as guarantors of international students. 

SS pointed out he knows of a system that was created by ex-students. It allows students to pay one fixed fee and then the system splits this up into separate bill payments. OC will bring up this system to David Gilani (Union President) in their next meeting. OC states he has been trying to link this guarantor system with pre-sessional students. We will be working with the Advice Centre on a new system that allows students to better advertise free spaces in their house, to other students, so they do not have to default on their rent. This is mainly for postgraduate and pre-sessional students whose academic calendar does not match the common July move in/out dates of student housing.  

SS wants to know if SUSU can provide information to students about contracts and if they can sublet rooms?

OC points out that the advice centre does this but he will pass on information to Beckie Thomas (VP Welfare) about postgraduate and pre-sessional students’ issues with housing.

The university has now agreed that an international student can run for a sabbatical position, there was a visa issue but now that has been resolved. 

JB contacted Evan Whyte (VP Sport Development) and OC about an international sports event. OC spoke to Evan Whyte to discuss the possibility of this, but a date and location have not yet been set. JB is planning to have this event at the end of February or the start of March. JB has been working with explore the UK; they have asked to get in touch with other international societies for their event on 26th or 28th of February.

 

Action To discuss fixed payment billing system with David Gilani (Oli Coles)
Action To pass on pre-sessional and postgraduate student housing issues with Beckie Thomas (Oli Coles)
7. Postgraduate Students

AB states that they are starting a Postgrad society. The first meeting for the postgraduate society will be on 4th February. Last year there was no interest in having a postgraduate society however this year there has been demand for one. It would be a way to centralise postgraduate students, create ideas and support for postgraduates.

 

8. Junior Common Rooms

David Gunns' report sent with apologies:

Since the last meeting we have held a training day that was well attended by JCRs. We showed them the ropes and they have suggested a varied range of events and campaigns that they'll be working on in the next Semester. The Freshers’ Christmas Ball was a roaring success - selling out (1500 tickets) in just 6 days! We also held a reception to thank old and welcome new JCRs. So far this year plans have progressed well with Welcome Back Week. Most of the JCRs have held their first alcoholic and non-alcoholic events that have been well-received by residents who appear very satisfied with their JCRs.

 

9. Students at Sites

National Oceanography Centre Officer:

Henry Pearson [HP] states that he is still chasing up the ability for students based at the National Oceanography Centre [NOC] campus to hand in coursework at Highfield campus. 

People at the staff liaison committee were complaining that they have to pay 50 pence to have lettuce in their burger.  He was asked by the committee to try and sort this out, this issue is still ongoing. OC will talk to James Leeman about this issue.

HP states that the academic president is working with the IT people at NOC to convert a room into an IT space for students. HP wants to convert this space into a study room from the feedback he has received from other students, however the faculty wants more IT space. OC will discuss this with David Gilani.

 

Southampton General Hospital Officer:

Sohaib Rufai's report sent after meeting:

It has been a good period for SGH, especially with the introduction of the clinical skills kit hire arrangement for students to help build on their examination technique and prepare for exams.

Several students have asked me about the locker situation and one has sent an e-mail, which I will copy below. Oli said he is trying to get the lockers secured.

Finally, it would be great to have the bench installed outside the South Academic Block in memory of Jan Heath who sadly passed away recently.

 

Winchester Site Officer:

Amy Harwood's report sent after meeting:

Students feel very strongly (mostly Graphic Arts) about having studio opening hours extended until 11pm. If not possible all the time, at least in the up coming months for major project deadlines. The request for longer Library hours are also wanted. we are aware that it is due to security hours, but it was possible last year and will be needed towards the end of this semester.

There are a lot of advertising for the SUSU activities for students around the campus which is good so the coverage is successful.

This is a massive final semester for third years, so there will be a lot of upcoming exhibitions and fundraising, would be great to get Southampton involved and come have a look.

A recent 3rd fashion show went really well, with another from 2nd years on the way.

 

Action Discuss price of lettuce issue with James Leeman (Oli Coles)
Action Discuss conversion of NOC space with David Gilani (Oli Coles)
10. Diversity Campaigns and Culture

Tom Gleeson's report sent with apologies:
February is LGBT History Month, and I’ve been working with the LGBT and Amnesty student groups through the E&D Forum to organise a whole bunch of events to celebrate! At the time of writing, I’m also just finalising a survey looking into accessibility for and inclusion of trans students. That about covers it for this month! On the horizon there’s International Women’s Week, so I’ll be helping with the student-let side of that.

 

11. Transport

OC: still trying to get hold of transport staff. Trying to look for a way to get students from Portswood directly to Southampton General Hospital (at the moment the bus route takes far too long). Edinburgh had a good resolve for a similar issue. The president of Edinburgh Students’ Union sent OC all the information on their campaign for a change of transport. OC will carry on trying to chase up the relevant members of staff.

 

Action Chase up issues with Transport to sites (Oli Coles)
12. Elections

OC: nominations start on the 7th February and close on the 17th February.
Spread the word and try to get people to nominate themselves.
HP: One year SUSU came down with iPads to get people at NOCs to vote.
OC: This year we are planning to set up voting booths at every site. So we will see what is possible with the current budget.

 

Action Find students to nominate themselves for current positions (Thomas Gleeson, David Gunns, Amy Harwood, Henry Pearson, Sohaib Rufai, Jawad Bhatti, Ioan Alexandru Barbu)
13. Any Other Business

Any update on lockers or benches at SGH OC will talk to Sohaib Rufai about it directly.
Now that we are in a new sememester the day and time of this committee meeting is no longer attendable for some of the committee. The committee will decide on what time is best for everyone.

Action Discuss lockers and benches with Sohaib Rufai
Action Send out a doodle poll to set a new meeting time and day (Karik Isichei)
14. Date of Next Meeting

Next meeting after elections

Key: P (Papers Provided), PF (Papers to Follow)