The Trustee Board is responsible for the overseeing the work and governance of the Students' Union, and is made up of 6 elected student officers, 4 elected students, and 4 external people appointed by Union Council. The Union is a limited company by guarantee that has the status of a charity (a "charitable company"), and the 16 members of Trustee Board are the directors of the company and trustees of the registered charity.
Trustee Board is chaired by the Union President, and is ultimately responsible for three main areas: governance, the budget and employment issues. On a day-to-day basis, Trustee Board is responsible for:
- creating and implementing the Union's Strategy and related plans
- developing the Union's facilities
- ensuring the strategic development of the commercial services in line with the overall strategy
- considering and reporting to the membership all decisions to affiliate to bodies during the year
- ensuring financial guidelines exist and that a current Finance Schedule, which will be renewed at the first Council meeting of each year, indicating the maximum sum that may be approved by committees and individuals
Our student-facing decision-making processes, such as Union Council, the Annual General Meeting and referendums set the political policy of the Union, and Trustee Board usually sits alongside them, making administrative policy where required. However, because Trustee Board is responsible for the budget, they can overturn decisions made by students if there are financial considerations to the decision, and because they are responsible for our governance, they can overturn decisions if they would break the law, particularly the requirements of charity law (although there has been no requirement for the Board to do this since it was established in 2012).
Trustee Board meets six times a year (every other month), and Trustee Board Sub-Committee meets in the alternate months. You can find a summary of the meetings on the Meetings section of the website.
Full-time Officer Trustees
Vice President Democracy and Creative Industries
Vice President Education
Vice President Sports
Vice President Student Communities
Vice President Welfare
The Full-Time Officers choose six of the seven Officers to be Trustees each year. The remaining Officer is able to attend meetings of the Board but does not have a vote. For 2016-17, the Vice President Sports Development is the Officer who is not a Trustee
Student Leader Trustees
Equality and Diversity Officer
Ethics and Environment Officer