Hi, I’m Fatima and I am running for Sustainability Officer. I will be going into my third year studying BSc Geography. My aspirations as a student is to immerse myself as much as possible in sustainability and environmental concerns at Southampton. A great way to embark on this is by exploring issues and ideas around sustainability among our student community. Now more than ever, students are conscious of making an impactful and positive change to their environment. I would love to represent our students to address sustainability issues that are important to our university.
In the past year, my role as the university’s Nature and Biodiversity Community Hub Coordinator has given me experience in liaising and representing the university in local community organisations. I have collaborated with student societies promoting public engagement in nature/biodiversity through engaging activities such as live discussions and game shows. Representing the student’s perspective in sustainability, I have also been a part of the student focus group in developing the university’s Sustainability Strategy giving ideas and providing feedback. I believe that working together is key in tackling the wider climate and ecological crisis.
What I would like to achieve:
- I am incredibly passionate about promoting BAME voices and diversity in sustainability and environmental issues. The environmental sector is the second least diverse workforce in the UK. I want to ensure that students from underrepresented backgrounds are heard, create discussion in our university and promote opportunities.
- I would like to promote carbon literacy, a greater awareness of climate science and topical issues around sustainability. A great way to raise awareness would be to provide this for all students at Freshers.
- There are lots of green student society activities, opportunities and research around the university that tends to be hidden away in our website and Facebook groups. I would like to create one noticeboard/calendar for all university green activities to allow everyone to get involved and to celebrate our achievements!
- The university has made a commitment to sustainability through our Sustainability Strategy. I want to ensure that all students are fully informed on what our strategy means and provide transparency in our progress.
- One of my favourite places to hang out, and for many other students too, is our very green campus! I would like to protect biodiversity in our campuses and improve our green spaces which are essential for student wellbeing.