Creating a balanced programme of events
The Union strives to be open and welcoming, where everyone can participate fully in the activities and services we offer. As student groups affiliated with SUSU, it is your responsibility to ensure that you also reflect these values. To find out more about our equal opportunities policy, visit our Equal Opportunities page.
You can do this by:
- Ensuring you offer a wide range of events that reflect your membership.
- Remembering that your membership will change each year, so your events should too.
- Providing a balance of events with and without alcohol.
- Considering the ways in which you promote your events – not everyone will use Facebook!
- Holding events at a variety of times and locations to suit a range of timetables.
Below you will find a list of activities which have proven to be very popular and successful amongst various student groups.
- Trips to theme parks or adventure centres e.g. Thorpe Park, Playzone, Splashdown
- Balls or formals. You may want to consider collaborating with another group to make it particularly special
- Guest speakers
- Sports days on the common
- Community work
- Film night – you can even hire the Union cinema by visiting their website, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trips abroad or to other UK cities e.g. somewhere with a cultural or sporting interest
- Please speak to a co-ordinator if your society are planning a trip abroad