How To Directory
- 1. How to Use Groups Hub
- 2. How to Manage Health & Safety
- 3. How to Make Your Society Inclusive
- 4. How to Book Facilities and Transport
- 5. How to Manage Your Money
- 6. How to Manage Equipment
- 7. How to Manage Communications
- 8. How to Run a Sports Club
- 9. How to Handover and Democratic Processes
- 10. How to Organise Events
- Involving Alumni
- Running an internal or external event
- Considering Health & Safety for your event
- Involving external speakers
- Adding an Event the the SUSU Calendar
- Requesting Box Office Tickets
- Promotion from SUSU
- Running an event outside SUSU premises
- Running your own charity event through RAG
- Creating a balanced programme of events
- Running an event on SUSU premises
- 11. How to Start a New Club or Society
- 12. Adopt a Society
Booking facilities and transport for fixtures
To make sure that our student groups are able to compete and perform to their best ability, SUSU applies a different procedure to Wednesday afternoon facility and vehicle bookings. The procedure is designed to ensure that student groups representing the Union and the University of Southampton in competitions on Wednesdays are supported as much as possible.
All requests for minibuses on a Wednesday for BUCS matches must be made to the Activities Coordinator - Sport . Buses are allocated the week before based on distance being travelled by teams.
Non-Wednesday Fixtures and Competitions
If you need to book Union facilities or vehicles for a non-Wednesday fixture, please follow this link to the online booking form.
Please note that many of the university’s sports facilities fall under the management of Southampton Sport. However as an affiliated student group you will need to make this request via SUSU by emailing the Activities Coordinator - Sport and we will ask on your behalf. These facilities include everything located at Wide Lane, all facilities within the Jubilee Sports Centre, the martial arts room and the squash courts.
Block Bookings for Southampton Sport Spaces
Clubs are invited to request what training slots they would like for the new academic term over the summer period. The Sports Coordinator will then sit down with Southampton Sport and allocate training sessions based on size of the club and need.
Pitches for BUCS matches and Local league fixtures
All pitches for BUCS matches are automatically booked by the Activities Coordinator for Sport according to the BUCS league fixtures.
At the start of the season it is the responsibility of the Sports Club to inform the Activity Coordinator for Sport of all their local league matches that require pitch bookings from the University facilities. They will then book the matches in and inform that club if there are any clashes with existing bookings or BUCS matches.
Casual Bookings of Southampton Sport Spaces
Students can book the following spaces themselves directly with Southampton Sport as long as they have the correct membership:
- Jubilee Sports Hall – Netball, Basketball, Badminton
- Team Southampton Sports Hall – Cricket, Futsal
- Wide Lane Rubbercrumb (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm Except Wednesdays)
- Sand Astro - (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm Except Wednesdays)
- Netball and Tennis Courts
If a pitch is required for a match/friendly all request should go through the Activities Coordinator for Sport who will liaise with Sport & Wellbeing to see if there is availability for the request.