How To Directory
- 1. How to Run a Club or Society
- a. How can members join/register for your society?
- b. Choosing your Zone
- c. Writing a Constitution
- d. Adding/changing committee members and positions
- e. Creating a society email account
- f. Getting SUSU website hosting
- g. Sending a mass email to group members
- h. Receiving paper mail for your group
- i. Running your Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- j. Handing over to a new committee
- k. Terminating your Student Group
- 2. How to Make Your Society Inclusive
- 3. How to Organise Events
- a. Creating a balanced programme of events
- b. Getting people to your event
- c. Considering Health & Safety for your event
- d. Running an event outside SUSU premises
- d. Running an internal or external event
- e. Running an event on SUSU premises
- e. Running your own charity event through RAG
- f. Involving external speakers
- 4. How to Promote Your Group
- 5. How to Book Facilities and Transport
- 6. How to Manage Your Money
- 7. How to Manage Equipment
- 8. How to Manage Health & Safety
- a. Making a Health & Safety policy for your group
- b. Important SUSU and University regulations you need to know
- c. Ensuring you are covered by insurance
- d. Complying with SUSU data protection policy
- e. Electing a Health & Safety Officer for your committee
- f. Completing a risk assessment
- g. Safeguarding your members
- h. Ensuring your Group's safety when manual handling
- i. Preparing and supplying food
- j. Dealing with incidents
- 9. How to Run a Sports Club
Booking facilities and transport for fixtures
To make sure that our student groups are able to compete and perform to their best ability, SUSU applies a different procedure to Wednesday afternoon facility and vehicle bookings. The procedure is designed to ensure that student groups representing the Union and the University of Southampton in competitions on Wednesdays are supported as much as possible.
A full guide on how to hire a minibus for a Wednesday competition or fixture can be found here.
A full guide on how to book facilities for a Wednesday competition or fixture can be found here.
Non-Wednesday Fixtures and Competitions
If you need to book Union facilities or vehicles for a non-Wednesday fixture, the normal booking procedures are followed.
Please note that many of the university’s sports facilities fall under the management of Sport and Wellbeing. However as an affiliated student group you will need to make this request via SUSU by emailing email@example.com and we will ask on your behalf. These facilities include everything located at Wide Lane, all facilities within the Jubilee Sports Centre, the martial arts room and the squash courts.
Block Bookings for Sport & Wellbeing Spaces
Clubs are invited to request what training slots they would like for the new academic term over the summer period. The Activities Coordinator will then sit down with Sport & Wellbeing and allocate training sessions based on size of the club and need.
Pitches for BUCS matches and Local league fixtures
All pitches for BUCS matches are automatically booked by the Activities Coordinator for Sport according to the BUCS league fixtures.
At the start of the season it is the responsibility of the Sports Club to inform the Activity Coordinator for Sport of all their local league matches that require pitch bookings from the University facilities. They will then book the matches in and inform that club if there are any clashes with existing bookings or BUCS matches.
Casual Bookings of Sport & Wellbeing Spaces
Students can book the following spaces themselves directly with Sport & Wellbeing as long as they have the correct membership:
- Jubilee Sports Hall – Netball, Basketball, Badminton
- Team Southampton Sports Hall – Cricket, Futsal
- Wide Lane Rubbercrumb (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm Except Wednesdays)
- Sand Astro - (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm Except Wednesdays)
- Netball and Tennis Courts
If a pitch is required for a match/friendly all request should go through the Activities Coordinator for Sport who will liaise with Sport & Wellbeing to see if there is availability for the request.