How To Directory
- 0. COVID-19 specific information
- 1. How to Use Groups Hub
- 2. How to Manage Health & Safety
- 3. How to Make Your Society Inclusive
- 4. How to Book Facilities and Transport
- 5. How to Manage Your Money
- 6. How to Manage Equipment
- 7. How to Manage Communications
- 8. How to Run a Sports Club
- 9. How to Handover and Democratic Processes
- 10. How to Organise Events
- Involving Alumni
- Creating a balanced programme of events
- Running your own charity event through RAG
- Running an event outside SUSU premises
- Promotion from SUSU
- Adding an Event the the SUSU Calendar
- Involving external speakers
- Considering Health & Safety for your event
- Running an internal or external event
- Running an event on SUSU premises
- 11. How to Start a New Club or Society
- 12. Adopt a Society
Booking facilities and transport for fixtures
To make sure that our student groups are able to compete and perform to their best ability, SUSU applies a different procedure to Wednesday afternoon facility and vehicle bookings. The procedure is designed to ensure that student groups representing the Union and the University of Southampton in competitions on Wednesdays are supported as much as possible.
A full guide on how to hire a minibus for a Wednesday competition or fixture can be found here.
A full guide on how to book facilities for a Wednesday competition or fixture can be found here.
Non-Wednesday Fixtures and Competitions
If you need to book Union facilities or vehicles for a non-Wednesday fixture, the normal booking procedures are followed.
Please note that many of the university’s sports facilities fall under the management of Sport and Wellbeing. However as an affiliated student group you will need to make this request via SUSU by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and we will ask on your behalf. These facilities include everything located at Wide Lane, all facilities within the Jubilee Sports Centre, the martial arts room and the squash courts.
Block Bookings for Sport & Wellbeing Spaces
Clubs are invited to request what training slots they would like for the new academic term over the summer period. The Activities Coordinator will then sit down with Sport & Wellbeing and allocate training sessions based on size of the club and need.
Pitches for BUCS matches and Local league fixtures
All pitches for BUCS matches are automatically booked by the Activities Coordinator for Sport according to the BUCS league fixtures.
At the start of the season it is the responsibility of the Sports Club to inform the Activity Coordinator for Sport of all their local league matches that require pitch bookings from the University facilities. They will then book the matches in and inform that club if there are any clashes with existing bookings or BUCS matches.
Casual Bookings of Sport & Wellbeing Spaces
Students can book the following spaces themselves directly with Sport & Wellbeing as long as they have the correct membership:
- Jubilee Sports Hall – Netball, Basketball, Badminton
- Team Southampton Sports Hall – Cricket, Futsal
- Wide Lane Rubbercrumb (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm Except Wednesdays)
- Sand Astro - (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm Except Wednesdays)
- Netball and Tennis Courts
If a pitch is required for a match/friendly all request should go through the Activities Coordinator for Sport who will liaise with Sport & Wellbeing to see if there is availability for the request.