How To Directory
- 1. How to Use Groups Hub
- 2. How to Manage Health & Safety
- 3. How to Make Your Society Inclusive
- 4. How to Book Facilities and Transport
- 5. How to Manage Your Money
- 6. How to Manage Equipment
- 7. How to Manage Communications
- 8. How to Run a Sports Club
- 9. How to Handover and Democratic Processes
- 10. How to Organise Events
- Involving Alumni
- Running an internal or external event
- Considering Health & Safety for your event
- Involving external speakers
- Adding an Event the the SUSU Calendar
- Requesting Box Office Tickets
- Promotion from SUSU
- Running an event outside SUSU premises
- Running your own charity event through RAG
- Creating a balanced programme of events
- Running an event on SUSU premises
- 11. How to Start a New Club or Society
- 12. Adopt a Society
Booking a space
The Union Buildings have various spaces which can be used by students and student groups between 8am and 11pm (during term time). The Union can offer everything from bars to the cinema, meeting rooms and rehearsal space, and in order to ensure they are properly and fairly allocated, bookings need to be made in advance.
Room hire is free for student groups, although charges may be incurred for the hire of tech equipment or other services.
To enquire about a room and make a booking please do so through our bookings system Southampton University Students Union (ivvy.co.uk)
In the case of particularly complicated bookings or bookings for events (where the services of Union departments are required, such as technical facilities, catering or bars), staff may be in contact with groups once bookings have been received to agree details and to fill out an event booking form if required.
Booking a vehicle
A. How to be an Approved Minibus Driver:
- To become an approved minibus driver, you must be over 21 and have had a full driving license for 3 years or more with no faults or penalties.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be asked to be added to the test waiting list with your name, email address and general weekly availability.
- You will be added to a waiting list and we will reach out once there is a minibus test available - these are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- The minibus test has a fee of £25 - bring this and your driving license to the test, which will take no more than an hour.
- Once you have passed the test, we will add you to the approved driver list and you can get driving!
B. How to book a SUSU minibus
- Visit the minibus booking website: SUSU Minibus Hire (UoS Students only) (office365.com)
- Select service - we offer bookings from just one hour up to full weekends.
- Select the start date on the calendar, and the time (if needed) from the list. These can be booked up to 12 weeks in advance.
- In the staff drop down, the minibus availability will be shown. Both are 15 seaters, so if they are both available there is no difference in which you select. If neither are available you will have to book externally (see below).
- Add your contact details, any notes and your society name, then click 'book now' to confirm.
- You will receive a confirmation email with the details of your booking, as well as the ability to reschedule or cancel.
- On the day of your booking, come to SUSU reception (Building 42) to make payment and collect the minibus keys.
|Half Day (up to and including 7 hours)||£50.00|
|Day (8+ hours within one calendar day)||£80.00|
C. How to book and external Minibus using the SUSU accounts
- if there are no minibuses available, or none that are appropriate for your needs, you may book a minibus through a local hire company.
- We have a list of companies that accept student hires under our insurance (below).
- If you are booking externally, it is your responsibility to sort out payment, pick-up and drop-off, but please book under the name 'SUSU Southampton University'.
- You will also need to purchase SUSU external vehicle insurance, which can be done at reception. You will have to fill out a form with the contacted details of the driver, as well as the details of the booking and the vehicle, but this can be guided by the receptionist when you purchase the insurance.
|Number of Days||Cost of Insurance|
|Up to 1 Day||£15|
|Up to 2 Days||£25|
|Up to 3 Days||£35|
|Up to 4 Days||£45|
|Up to 5 Days||£55|
|Up to 6 Days||£65|
|7 to 14 Days||£100|
5. Prior to filling out the insurance form, please get in touch with the vehicle company to get as much information about the vehicle as possible. This includes; Make & Model, Reg Number, No. of seats, engine size, and the year of manufacture.
6. The insurance form and proof of purchase will need to be taken when you collect your vehicle.
|Company||Contact||Notes||Approx cost of weekend hire||Approx cost of 24hr hire|
|SSD||01329 822677||14 and 15 seat minibuses available. Hire under Southampton University Student Union account||£388.50 + £350 refundable deposit (14 seats) Friday AM until Monday AM||£156 + £350 refundable deposit|
|Abbey Vehicle Hire||02380 614109||9 seat minibuses only||£270 (9 seats) Friday PM until Monday AM||Call for details|
|Fareham Self Drive||01329 822334||9, 14 and 15 seat minibuses available||£262 (14 seats) Friday PM until Monday AM||£99 for 200 miles + 50p for each mile over|
|Arnold Clarke||01415 670561||9 seat minibuses only Account name: SUSU Southampton University Account Number: 9924069||£220 (9 seats) Friday PM until Monday AM||£88.50 24 hour hire|
U-Drive no longer allows University Students to hire vehicles directly.
Block bookings are reoccurring weekly bookings for regular practice sessions. Owing to the nature of these bookings, requests must be made over the summer holiday for the academic year following, and space is then allocated for the entire year, according to this procedure. Block bookings are requested via the online Groups Hub.
If you need bookings less frequently than once a week you may request bookings for the Students' Union rooms via the bookings website. Please note no bookings will be accepted until block bookings are allocated:
- Outdoor venues are subject to the weather.
- University sports facilities also play an academic role as a host for exam space. Some training sessions may be cancelled due to these which is obviously unavoidable.
- If groups do not attend their bookings, they risk all future bookings being cancelled.
- Bookings run from the beginning of the academic year
- In certain circumstances, it may be necessary to cancel block bookings. Where this arises the Union will endeavour to make the group aware two weeks before the booking. In exceptional circumstances, the Union reserves the right to cancel both one-off and block bookings with shorter notice.
Students’ Union Spaces
- Multi-Purpose Studio
- Activities Room
- Clubs and Socs Room
- The Cube
- Meeting Room 1
- Meeting Room 2
- Plant Pot- Veg Out Space
- Jubilee Sports Hall
- Old Sports Hall
- Squash Courts
- Swimming Pool
- Rubber Crumb
- Outdoor Hard Courts
- Sand Based Astro
- Team Southampton Gym
- Glen Eyre Hall
Where possible, groups are provided with the space they have requested. Where requests conflict, the Vice-President Sport and Vice-President Activities will attempt to work with the relevant student groups affected to see if compromises can be reached.