How To Directory
- 1. How to Run a Club or Society
- a. How can members join/register for your society?
- b. Choosing your Zone
- c. Writing a Constitution
- d. Adding/changing committee members and positions
- e. Creating a society email account
- f. Getting SUSU website hosting
- g. Sending a mass email to group members
- h. Receiving paper mail for your group
- i. Running your Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- j. Handing over to a new committee
- k. Terminating your Student Group
- 2. How to Make Your Society Inclusive
- 3. How to Organise Events
- a. Creating a balanced programme of events
- b. Getting people to your event
- c. Considering Health & Safety for your event
- d. Running an event outside SUSU premises
- d. Running an internal or external event
- e. Running an event on SUSU premises
- e. Running your own charity event through RAG
- f. Involving external speakers
- 4. How to Promote Your Group
- 5. How to Book Facilities and Transport
- 6. How to Manage Your Money
- 7. How to Manage Equipment
- 8. How to Manage Health & Safety
- a. Making a Health & Safety policy for your group
- b. Important SUSU and University regulations you need to know
- c. Ensuring you are covered by insurance
- d. Complying with SUSU data protection policy
- e. Electing a Health & Safety Officer for your committee
- f. Completing a risk assessment
- g. Safeguarding your members
- h. Ensuring your Group's safety when manual handling
- i. Preparing and supplying food
- j. Dealing with incidents
- 9. How to Run a Sports Club
How can members join/register for your society?
This section covers creating memberships, joining free societies and purchasing paid memberships.
In order for members to be able to join your society, you must create a membership option - either free or paid. Both can be created in a similar way.
- Head to your group's admin page.
- Under "Finances", select "Membership fees"
- Click "Add Membership" and enter the details, price and the period that the membership covers. Please double-check the start and end dates of your membership!
It is possible to have several membership options. Please note that paid memberships have to be purchased through SUSU Box Office or SUSU Reception. Free memberships are in effect instantly after pressing the "Join" button.
Remember, non-students can join clubs or societies but must first have associate/lifetime Union membership. Without this, they will not be insured.
Watch our walkthrough videos for help on creating new memberships!
Joining a club/society with free membership
- From the main page, head to "Opportunities" and select "Societies"
- Search for the club or society you would like to join
- On the individual society page, click the "Join" button.
Joining a club/society with paid membership
- Paid memberships are purchased through SUSU Box Office. Please visit boxoffice.susu.org to do this.
- On the Box Office select Clubs & Societies Membership. From here members will see the memberships available for your Club and Society.
- A £0.50p booking fee is in place to cover administrative costs.