The Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) is additional funding available to students who have a disability, long term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. It is expected, under the Equality Act, that the University make reasonable adjustments for those with disabilities so that they are not placed at a substantial disadvantage to non-disabled students. DSA is paid on top of your statutory funding and is non-repayable.

How to apply?

You will need to complete an application form. (please see below). Once you have been deemed eligible for DSA, Student Finance will ask you to contact an assessment centre who will decide what support you need. This will be paid for through the DSA entitlement you receive. Once you have been assessed, you will receive a report listing the equipment and support you can obtain with the help from DSA.

If you have already applied for Student Finance and you now wish to apply for DSA, you will need to complete the Slim DSA Application Form. You will not have to apply each year of your course.

If you are only applying for DSA, are postgraduate or a part time student you will need to complete the Full DSA Application Form. You will need to re-apply each year.

If you are a NHS applicant then you can find further useful information here

You can also find more information from the Student Loans Company here.

You can order forms in other formats such as Braille, large print or audio by emailing your name, address, CRN along with the required format to

Who can apply?

You can apply for DSA if:

  • You are eligible for support from Student Finance
  • You are eligible for support from the NHS
  • You can provide evidence that your condition affects your ability to study

You cannot apply for DSA if:

  • You are an EU or International student
  • You are in receipt of equivalent funding from another source such as the University or social work bursary.

What evidence do you need to provide?

For disabilities, long-term health conditions and mental health conditions, you will need to provide a letter from your doctor or consultant.

If you have a specific learning disability such as dyslexia or dyspraxia you will need to provide an assessment from a psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher. The University offer this at their Wessex Needs Assessment Centre and Enabling Services.

How is it paid?

You will either receive the funding directly to your bank account or the money will be paid to the supporting organisation where necessary.