Library Access Hours for Mobility Impaired Students (0607P11)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: Student Life
Passed: 11/12/2006 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- The Hartley library has reduced access to mobility impaired students since 2006 (currently students are only allowed to use the library 8:30-16:00 on weekdays only)
- That the Fire Regulations (2006) place a responsibility on the owner of the building to egress building users rather than the Fire Brigade
- That the Hartley library is staffed:
- That library access was further temporarily reduced to 8:30-15:00 for several weeks at the start of Semester 1 due to staff sickness
- Individual schools maintain a rota of staff to enable equal access to school buildings
- Mobility impaired students (whether permanent or temporary) should have fair access to library facilities.
- Fair access is not the same as parity, but rather a realistic compromise (based on staffing levels).
- To work with the University to train more library staff to use the evacuation lift.
- To call upon the University to make sure that at least one member of staff who is trained in operating the evacuation lift ispresent when the building is staffed (including weekends) in order to enable mobility impaired students longer access hours than those currently available.
- To help the University to establish a timetable of action for Union Resolves 1. and 2.
Sorry, there are no Mandates for this policy