Accommodation Provision for Disabled Students (0607P8)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: Student Life
Passed: 11/12/2006 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- That the University currently provides high quality adapted accommodation for students with disabilities
- That this year every room in Halls of Residence that is adapted for the needs of Disabled Students is occupied
- That whilst a student without a disability is highly likely to vacate their room at the end of their first year, a student with a disability will often reside in their adapted accommodation for the duration of their degree
- That next year no rooms will be vacated by disabled students, leaving the University with no adapted rooms available for disabled students.
- That 3 prospective disabled students have already made in depth enquiries about beginning their degrees at theUniversityofSouthamptonin 2007/08 to date
- That rooms that are adapted to the needs of a disabled student can be used by students without disabilities should they not be needed on a year to year basis
- That the Unionhas the following constitutional aims:
a) To safeguard and further the educational, social and general interests of its members
b) To afford a recognised channel of communication between Students and the rest of the University
(Constitution, December 2006)
- That the Students’ Union believes in equal rights for all, regardless of sex, race, age, creed, sexuality, ability or political persuasion.
(Equal Opportunities Policy, December 2006)
- That theUniversity of Southampton should be an accessible source of Higher Education to all students.
Sorry, there are no Resolves for this policy
- To support the VP Welfareand Societies and SWD Officer in working with the University to provide a further 5 fully adapted rooms in Halls of Residence for the 2007-08 Academic season.