Union Provision for Disabled Students (0607P9)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: Student Life
Passed: 11/12/2006 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- That the Students’ Union building (42) is spread across 4 levels, and that for many disabled students, the lift is a fundamental tool in gaining access to a large number of theUnion’s facilities.
- That the lift is an unreliable facility and has on many occasions broken down. This is problematic on two levels; as theUnionbecomes inaccessible to many disabled students wishing to use Union facilities on levels 1, 2 and 3, and any wheelchair users using such facilities at the time of the lift breaking down are unable to leave the building
- That the time taken to fix the lift has in the past taken up to two days
- That Students’ Union staff should be well trained in making the Students’ Union an accessible and usable environment
- That the Unionshould provide and administer facilities for welfare, athletic, social, political, cultural and recreational pursuits for its members.
- Simply put, ALL students should be free to get the best from theUnion.
- To support the VPWelfareand Societies in working with the University to ensure:
a) That the lift is regularly serviced to minimise the inconvenience caused when it fails to function properly.
b) That in the event that the lift does break down, it is repaired as quickly as possible.
- TheUnion’s staff team is given adequate training to fulfil Union Notes 4) and Union Believes 2)
Sorry, there are no Mandates for this policy