NUS Referendum (1011P1)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: Education
Passed: 25/10/2010 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- Southampton University Students’ Union has not been affiliated to the NUS for many years
- That the process of deciding to disaffiliate was not clear, with the question considered at referendum and AGM before a final decision was made
- The question of whether to re-affiliate to NUS has never been put to the members since disaffiliation
- Holding a NUS referendum was a manifesto pledge of the current Union President
- That it is fair and democratic to ask the question to all students whether or not SUSU should be affiliated to the NUS
- A referendum should be held asking students whether the Union should now affiliate to the NUS
- This referendum should be student led, carrying the normal election rules, with both a ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ campaign.
- As it was a major manifesto pledge of the Union President, it would be undemocratic to deny students having the choice on whether or not SUSU should be a part of the NUS
- The referendum should be engaging, democratic, informative & exciting.
- To hold a referendum on the question of SUSU’s affiliation to NUS
- To instruct Elections Committee to run the processes of a referendum to be held this term.
- The final decision should lie jointly with an elected sabbatical or executive officer and the marketing manager.
Sorry, there are no Mandates for this policy