Union Council Review (1011P12)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: Democracy
Passed: 14/03/2011 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- Union Council policy passed on 31 January to instruct Executive Committee to carry out a review of the role and makeup of Union Council and bring proposals to the March Council Meeting. (Motion 5)
- The various consultation methods established since the January Council (Sabbatical blogging, Big Box, discussion at Standing Committees, forum on top of informal methods)
- Union Council has two broad roles in the current constitution to make policy and set rules.
- The current make-up of Union Council places an unnecessary burden on some of our student volunteers, which in turn leads to a poor turnout.
- The current make-up of Union Council leads to a council focussing on internal Union matters more than on broader student issues. (2/3 of current policy is internal)
- The current membership of Union Council reflects those members involved in Union activity but not the student body as a whole.
Sorry, there are no Resolves for this policy
- Constitution Committee to amend the constitution as outlined below
a) Sabbatical Officers
b) Trustees with Portfolio
c) Student Leaders
d) Student councillors chosen to reflect the makeup of the student body based on intrinsic characteristics such as mode and level of study
- The current Sabbatical team to work with next year’s elect team, plus any union Councillors who are interested, on an evaluation of Union Council which will look at how and where it is possible to improve the debate process, as well as making Union Council more engaging for its Councillors
- For next year’s Sabbatical team to report back on their findings at the first Union Council of the 2011/12 academic year.