Valuing Diversity Policy (1011P19)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: Student Life
Passed: 04/02/2014 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- The surplus of equal opportunities policies are in fact detrimental to the course which they wish to tackle.
- By not having one definitive policy our diversity aims become muddled.
- The current policies are in need of revamping to enthuse students and staff to appreciate the significance of diversity through an invigorated, accessible policy.
- An equality and diversity policy should reflect the diverse community that is Southampton University Students’ Union (SUSU).
- Diversity comes in all shapes and sizes and should represent all those that interact with the Union.
- We should be making every effort to implement the values stated in our policy.
- To delete and replace the current Equal Opportunities Policies in section E1 with the policy attached overleaf.
- To mandate the new Equality & Diversity Forum to review the deleted policies and ensure that appropriate and coherent policies are replaced
- To action the relevant parties to ensure that our plan is put into practice.
- To ensure the involvement of students in activating this policy therefore replacing negative stigmas with enjoyment and accessibility.
Valuing Diversity Policy
Southampton University Students’ Union (SUSU) is a unique and diverse community of individuals which we believe should be celebrated. SUSU strives to be open and welcoming, where everyone can participate fully in the activities and services we offer. This policy is to ensure that SUSU is fully accessible to all those for whom it exists: its members, its staff and everyone who interacts with the organisation.
ensure that every student and staff member is treated fairly and have equality of opportunity within the union.
not tolerate any discrimination against students or staff on any grounds.
work alongside cohorts of individuals who may be subject to discrimination, prejudice and intimidation to provide a safe, welcoming and enjoyable environment.
actively encourage participation from groups that are not usually involved in SUSU activities.
We will ensure that we use appropriate interventions to allow us to achieve this and will take appropriate disciplinary action if needed. These interventions may include: training, information, awareness raising campaigns, guidance, positive action and support.
Our collective responsibility:
Valuing diversity is the responsibility of all members, staff and visitors. It is everyone’s responsibility to ensure there is no discrimination and that all are treated with respect and dignity.
We will all take a personal responsibility to:
respect each other and our individual differences and to treat each other fairly and not discriminate.
not encourage or support others to behave in a discriminatory manner.
not bully or harass others on any grounds.
report any incident where we feel discrimination is occurring.
not victimise anyone who has made complaints regarding discrimination or provided information on discrimination.
Implementing our plan:
In order to ensure that this policy is a living document and is acted upon, SUSU will:
develop and implement an action plan to develop our culture, processes and approach so that we truly Value Diversity within SUSU. This plan will aim to ensure that everyone can enjoy union and university life and remove barriers to participation.
form an Equality and Diversity Forum (EDF), with broad representation to allow the diversity of views to be heard. The EDF will be an action group that will be proactive in finding ways to deliver the diversity plan.
Sorry, there are no Mandates for this policy