AU Clubs and Societies Granting Budget (1213P12)
Status: Active | Zone: Student Groups
Passed: 04/02/2014 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- That we have at least 11, 476 students involved with 20,977 memberships of our student groups which is around 50% of our student body.
- Clubs and societies are a core part of union activity and university life.
- Taking part in a club or society often carries a financial cost to it.
- There has been a significant drop in student numbers at the University this year both at Undergraduate and Post Graduate Level.(http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/sep/06/university-southampton-fall-undergraduate-intake). This will result in a drop in income of around £100k for the coming years budget.
- Point 6.2 of the Union plan states ‘Actively encourage students to be involved in activities which enable them to unlock their full potential in a balanced and responsible manner’
- Point 6.4 of the Union plan states ‘. Support our student groups to help them to achieve their aims’.
- Point 9.4 of the Union plan states ‘Encourage membership of at least one club or society by every student’
- AU Clubs and societies are at the heart of student life.
- SUSU should financially support clubs and societies as much as they can- which is supported throughout the union plan.
- No student should be prevented from partaking in a club or society due to financial constraints and by granting clubs and societies money it helps them to keep their membership fees affordable.
- AU Clubs and societies should not be held back from fulfilling their core aims by financial constraints.
- To ensure that the maximum amount of funding that is financially sensible for the union is allocated to the AU Clubs and societies budgets.
Sorry, there are no Mandates for this policy