We the people A Voice in Your SUSU (1213P17)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: Democracy
Passed: 04/02/2014 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- SUSU is the central body for student representation within Southampton and does its best to engage with students each and every day.
- SUSU has elected bodies like Union Council to decide policy and make decisions that affect the entire student community here in Southampton
- A significant number of students remain disengaged with SUSU in part due to a prevailing negative attitude towards the image of cliquism within the union, and a fear of aggressive response when putting forward ideas or attempting to 'break into' SUSU politics.
- The United States of America's government employs a system by which any American citizen can create a petition. Through use of the dedicated website petitions.whitehouse.gov, citizens can petition about the issues they care about. When a petition reaches the required number of signatures the Obama administration promises to review the proposal, send it to the appropriate expert and then issue an official response.
- This video - created by the Obama administration - explains how the system works
- That we should “be at the heart of University life, fully engaged with all of our key audiences and supporting our members”.
- That SUSU can do more to increase its relationships with less engaged students.
- That SUSU should do more to understand why some students don’t actively get involved with the Students’ Union.
- SUSU as a union is representative of the entire student body and should reflect its views as best as possible.
- To create an initiative by which students can begin petitions to put forward to SUSU by engaging with student groups and obtaining a list of signatures, either by use of a dedicated webpage on the SUSU website, or through names and/or student id number.
- If the petition passes an allotted quota within the set time period - for example a figure that numbers 10% of the student body, indicating that 1 in 10 people would like to see the issue addressed - it is taken to SUSU and brought in front of Union council.
- This policy will allow those outside the union to address the issues they care about, not just those brought up by the elected body. At the same time it is my hope that it will help to bring people into SUSU and show what the student body can achieve by working together on the issues they care most about.
- Set up a means by which administrators could review pending policies for approval to prevent duplication of issues, and implement a cool down period before an issue can be raised again should it not reach its quota.
- That this be work be done by the; Union President, VP Democracy and Creative Industries, VP Engagement, VP Student Communities, Union Council