Monthly instalments for Halls Fees (1314P10)
Status: Active | Zone: Student Communities
Passed: 01/05/2014 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- Currently, University of Southampton Halls Fees are split into termly instalments, paid at the start of each term, throughout the year.
- The current instalment dates match the dates that Student Finance releases its termly payments to students.
- There are students in Halls who do not receive a maintenance loan from Student Finance.
- These students often either work part time and receive a monthly wage, or receive monthly bursaries due to their University course, e.g. Health Science students, meaning their income comes in more slowly.
- This can lead to students relying on family members or overdrafts to pay Halls Fees in advance.
- Those students who don’t receive a loan should be able to pay their Halls Fees in a method which better suits their income.
- The University should support students who would benefit from a monthly payment schedule.
- To lapse Policy 1112P3 – Halls Fees.
- To lobby the University Finance Team to create a payment schedule for students who wish to pay monthly.
- When this service is available, to ensure that the University continue to offer the service.
- To continue to offer advice to students who have financial issues, and to will refer them to the University Finance Team if they have an issue paying Halls Fees.
- The VP Student Communities to lobby the University Finance Team on behalf of SUSU to ensure a monthly payment schedule (Resolves 2).
- The Student Communities Zone to ensure the monthly payment schedule continues to be offered in future (Resolves(.