Accommodation for ERASMUS and Exchange Students (1314P11)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: International
Passed: 01/05/2014 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- There are approximately 300 ERASMUS, exchange and visiting students at the University every year.
- Each semester a new cohort of students arrive.
- Semester 1 has a larger cohort of students than Semester 2.
- Most student housing contracts are for 12 months, from 1st July until 30th June.
- These contract lengths are unsuitable for students who are only at the University for 3-4 months.
- When a student arrives in the UK, they sometimes have to rent a hotel for the first week until they find accommodation.
- Arriving to study in a new country is a stressful experience, and a lack of suitable student accommodation can exacerbate the stress.
- The University of Southampton should guarantee Exchange and ERASMUS students a place in Halls.
- There should be Welcome Assistants to welcome these students to Halls in Semester 2.
- To lapse Policy 0910P6 – Proposal on Halls Accommodation for ERASMUS and Exchange Students.
- To lobby the University Halls Management team to create shorter contracts for ERASMUS and Exchange students.
- To lobby the University to guarantee students, only in the UK for up to one year of study, a place in Halls.
- The VP Student Communities to lobby the University Halls Management Team to create shorter contracts for particular students (Resolves 2).
- The VP Student Communities to lobby the University to guarantee places for visiting students (Resolves 3).