New Seats for the Cube (1314P15)
Status: Active | Zone: Trustee
Passed: 14/05/2014 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- The Cube was built in 2002 and will be 12 years old in Summer 2014. There has been no investment in the venue itself since the original building works, and the current 308 capacity seating system is becoming more problematic and tricky to operate for staff and volunteers alike.
- Policy 1214P6 enshrines the importance of a student volunteer-run cinema, Union Films, within SUSU, and having the facilities necessary to provide a quality cinema experience to our members.
- The “Union Plan to 2015” points 10.3 "Outstanding facilities that enhance the evening economy on campus and support a diverse social entertainments programme", and 11.3 "We will expand the scope of Union Films", indicates this Union's commitment to providing a high quality cinema experience to its members.
- Repeated customer surveys praise the cinema experience offered by SUSU but complain about the poor and uncomfortable standard of seating available.
- The importance of currently offering a multi-purpose space on campus to hold meetings, put on events, films, hold sporting practice and more. More than 3192 individuals have attended screenings at the cinema, with over 600 room bookings being made (2013-14). The venue is also used for external talks and events such as University Open Days.
- The on-going developments of the Union Master plan, and the long-term needs and ambitions of this Union.
- The existing Cube seating is not currently fit for purpose.
- Offering a high quality and comfort tiered seating venue will improve the current facilities offered by this Union to its members.
- In the absence of other available spaces on campus, the importance of maintaining the multi-purpose usability of the Cube in the near future.
- Continued investment in the Union facilities is necessary to support and deliver the Union Plan 2015 and beyond.
- The long-term potential implementation timescale of the Master Plan, combined with the age of the existing seating and levels of customer comfort offered requires an interim solution to be implemented to resolve the current poor standard of the existing seating.
- The best solution would be to replace the existing seating system with a new retractable 200-250 capacity system with improved seat quality and space.
- That, should the Union Master Plan be realised, to ensure it includes at least one tiered fixed-seating cinema and performance venue with comfort levels that are similar/comparable to commercial cinemas and theatres.
- The Union President to implement the best solution to enhance and improve the comfort and standard of the Cube seating by Summer 2015, without detracting from the current services offered by the Cube