Creation of a new Intra-Mural Officer Student Leader Position (1314P2)
Status: Active | Zone: Sports Development
Passed: 02/12/2013 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- The Standing Committee Review which led to the development of Zones, which came into effect in July 2013.
- The zone is split into 5 areas, as laid out in the zone strategy (TASS, Bursary, Athletic Union, Intra-mural and Recreational/Participation). The first two areas are controlled and managed by the University, leaving the later three to be managed by SUSU.
- At the moment the Sports Participation Officer is spread across the three areas – they look after the smaller Athletic Union Clubs, they are the lead representative on Intra-mural issues (and co-chair of the committee) and they are tasked with looking at ways to increase participation for all students at every level.
- Of the three areas referred to in Notes 2, each has very distinct needs, meaning that it is not easy to join any two together.
- The Sports Participation Officer is not able to give as much attention as needed to the intra-mural leagues.
- The workload of the Sports Participation Officer means that neither strand of their work is able to be given the time it deserves, meaning we never break down the barriers that stop people from participating in sport, and the profile and efficiency of the intra-mural leagues is lowered.
- Making the Intra-Mural Officer a student leader would be a huge benefit to the Sports Zone and for sport at Southampton. It would also: raise the profile of IM sport and give it the attention that is needed; remove the number of tasks required of the Participation Officer, allowing them to focus on improving participation and the sporting experience we offer to recreational players.
- In addition, the longer term vision is to have intra-mural sports solely under the control of the Sports Zone, with the relationship becoming a similar to the one that the AU and S&W have. Therefore, the level of work for this area would increase, meaning that a student leader would become absolutely necessary.
- To create a new position of Intra-Mural Officer, to be a student leader.
- Accordingly, to amend the Rules as follows:
a) in rule 6 (Student Leaders), after section 13, insert a new section 14, as follows:
"14. Intra-Mural Officer
14.1 to promote the Intra-Mural league system.
14.2 to represent students in the organisation of Intra-Mural events throughout the year.
14.3 Chair the Intra-Mural Committee"
and amend the numbering of the following sections (and any reference to them in any other Rule or By-law) accordingly.
b) in Rule 4 (Zones), in the list in section 9.3, add an entry for the Intra-Mural Officer, and re-number the remaining entries accordingly.
c) in rule 2 (Decision Making), in section 4.2(f), increase the number of Open Place Union Councillors by one.
- In order to allow an election for the new Intra-Mural Officer to occur in the current academic year, the amendments made by this motion shall come into effect:
a) for the purpose of the promotion and operation of the 2014 spring elections, on the day this motion is passed, and
b) for all other purposes, on 1 July 2014.
Sorry, there are no Mandates for this policy