Sport For All (1314P25)
Status: Active | Zone: Participation
Passed: 09/06/2014 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- That the British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) policy on eligibility of students to compete in the BUCS sports programme limits certain students from participating in BUCS competitions. In order to compete in BUCS, a student must:
Be registered on a credit rated course
Be undertaking a study programme equivalent to at least 60 credits per year, or in the case of a postgraduate student be undertaking a study programme of no less than 50% of the full time student programme
- SUSU currently has policy passed on May 10 2000 Union Resolves (2) “to oppose any policy that attempts to deny a student at the University of Southampton the chance to compete in sporting activities”.
- That sport should be provided on a “sport for all” basis.
- That any student who attends the University of Southampton should have the opportunity to participate in sport through the Athletic Union.
- That the regulations on eligibility to compete in BUCS competitions are essential to ensure that BUCS sport and the higher education system are not reduced in value by member institutions being able to offer places on lower credit rated courses simply with the aim of having those individuals compete in sporting competitions.
- To replace Athletic Union policy “Sport for all” dated 10 May 2000 with this document.
- To give any member of SUSU the opportunity to trial for an AU club and to compete in non-BUCS run events where eligible.
- To continue to develop policy and strategy to provide access for sport to all students at the University of Southampton.
Sorry, there are no Mandates for this policy