Union Policy Review (1314P5)
Status: Active | Zone: Decision Making
Passed: 04/02/2014 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- As of 1st July 2013, SUSU had 141 Policies.
- The work of the Union Policy Review, established by Constitution Committee in May 2013, which has reviewed SUSU’s Policies and produced recommendations.
- The Review’s recommendations have been reviewed and agreed by each of the Zone Committees and by Trustee Board.
- The updates from the Review presented to Union Council at its October and Decembers meetings, and the proposals agreed to at the December meeting.
- Union Council may only overturn Policies passed or last ratified by Union Council, and that the Open Council may overturn Policies passed by a pre-incorporation General Meeting or Open Council, in accordance with our Articles of Association (16.1, 16.6).
- The 141 active Policies passed before 1st July 2013 are unmanageable in number, making it nigh-impossible to ensure their implementation.
- While it is not universally the case, many of our Policies are confusing, irrelevant, and contradict or overlap with each other.
- SUSU should have a relevant, concise, and manageable body of Union Policy to shape its decision-making.
- The Review, in partnership with the Zone Committees and Trustee Board, has produced a thorough and well-informed set of recommendations that will achieve a relevant, concise, and manageable body of Policy.
- Consolidating or rewriting Policies is a time-consuming process that cannot reasonably be undertaken in one meeting.
- Our decision-making processes, especially in relation to Policy, should be developed to ensure that the Review’s work is sustainable for the future.
- To classify all Union Policy by Zone or to Trustee Board, with the 141 active Policies passed before 1st July 2013 classified as overleaf.
- To retain those Policies marked ‘Retain’ or ‘Consolidate’ overleaf which are lapsing at year-end, in accordance with Rule 2, 5.3.
- To lapse those Policies marked ‘Lapse’ overleaf immediately in accordance with Rule 2, 5.4, subject to the ratification of Open Council for those Policies marked ‘Lapse’ overleaf which may only be overturned by an Open Council.
- To refer Policy 0304P2 to The Ideas Stage (Rule 2, 5.5.(b)) at the next ordinary meeting of Union Council.
- To lapse this Policy when all Policies have been presented to Union Council or Open Council in accordance with Mandates 1, 2 and 4.
- The actioned Sabbatical Officer or Zone Committee for Policies marked ‘Consolidate’ overleaf to present a consolidated Policy to Union Council or Open Council as soon as possible, together with an updating motion to lapse the Policies marked ‘Consolidate’.
- The actioned Sabbatical Officer or Union Committee for Policies marked ‘Retain’ and ‘Actioned to bring a rewrite of this Policy’ overleaf to present a rewritten Policy to Union Council or Open Council as soon as possible, together with an updating motion to lapse the Policy marked ‘Retain’.
- VP Democracy and Creative Industries to propose to the next annual Open Council the ratification of Resolves 3 for those Policies marked ‘Lapse’ overleaf which may only be overturned by an Open Council.
- Sustainability Zone Committee and the VP Welfare to present their recommendations for Policies marked ‘Decision yet to be made’ to Union Council or Open Council as soon as possible.
- Democracy Zone to develop our decision-making processes, especially in relation to Policy, to ensure the sustainability of a relevant, concise, and manageable body of Union Policy for the future.