Reducing the intervals for Policy lapse (1314R2)
Status: Active | Zone: Democracy
Passed: 01/05/2014 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- The final recommendations of the Policy Review in respect of the process for reviewing lapsing Policy and the intervals at which Policy is lapsed.
- The recommendation of the Democracy Zone Committee at their meeting on 25th March (three years for the first lapse and thereafter every two years).
- The work of the Policy Review Group in comprehensively reviewing all existing policy.
- The interval between Policy passing and coming up for lapse should be reduced to three years, and the interval between Policy being ratified and coming up for lapse should be reduced to two years.
- The process for reviewing Policy lapse should be clarified.
- The Policy Review conducted this academic year means it will not be necessary to review policy in the 2014-2015 academic year.
- To amend the Rules as follows, but to suspend the process of policy review until the 2015-16 academic year.
- In Rule 2, for section 5.3, substitute:“5.3 Union Policy set by Referendum, General Meeting or Union Council shall lapse at the end of the academic year which contains the third anniversary of the Policy being passed, or the second anniversary of the Policy being last ratified.(a) The Democracy Zone will advise Union Council, Zones, and the Trustee Board in the first term which Policies are due to lapse at year-end.(b) The Trustee Board and Zones will then recommend to the Democracy Zone in the second term which Policies due to lapse should be ratified. (c) The Democracy Zone will finalise recommendations as appropriate, and submit these to Union Council in the second term. (d) Union Council will adopt the recommendations with amendments or as submitted, and the Policies will lapse or be ratified at year-end as agreed.”
- Therefore, Union Policy passed in the following years will next be reviewed:2014/15 – 2017/18 (3 year review), 2019/20 (2 year review);2013/14 – 2016/17 (3 year review), 2018/19 (2 year review); 2012/13 – 2015/16 (3 year review), 2017/18 (2 year review); 2011/12 – 2016/17 (2 year review); 2010/11 – 2015/16 (2 year review); 2009/10 – 2016/17 (2 year review); 2008/09 – 2015/16 (2 year review); 2007/08 – 2016/17 (2 year review); 2006/07 – 2015/16 (2 year review); 2005/06 – 2016/17 (2 year review); 2004/05 – 2015/16 (2 year review); 2003/04 – 2016/17 (2 year review); 2002/03 – 2015/16 (2 year review).”
Sorry, there are no Mandates for this policy