Make SUSU less corporate, and more student-run (1415P13)
Status: Active | Zone: Trustee
Passed: 16/02/2016 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- Our core values state this Union should be ‘Student Led’ and ‘Transparent’.
- The declining satisfaction with the Union as recorded in the National Student Survey (2012: 77%, 2013: 74%, 2014: 69%).
 Source: Question 24 in the NSS, data available from http://www.hefce.ac.uk/lt/nss/results/2014/. For a comparison, the highest scoring Student Union was the University of Sheffield, which achieved 95% satisfaction.
- The planning of many Union projects and events are undertaken by Staff and Sabbatical Officers with little input from the wider student body.
- That student consultation was not used to plan the 2015 Graduation Ball.
- That opportunities for our members to shape the events and services of their Union are presently insufficient.
- That keeping the operations of the Union in touch with student opinion is vital to ensuring the success of our events and to achieving the goals of this Union as a Student Led and Transparent organisation.
- That increased involvement from our members in this Union’s operations will result in increased engagement and satisfaction with the Union.
- That feedback should be collected in a variety of different ways to ensure our members can feedback in a way appropriate to their needs - some may only wish to contribute online while others may wish to attend focus groups or even take on some organisation themselves.
- To actively create a culture where students and student groups are placed at the forefront of the planning and production of major events and Union operations.
- To engage in regular dialogue with our members, collecting suggestions and communicating progress, to improve their experience when using the Union.
- To use surveys, an online suggestion box, social media channels, focus groups and other appropriate means to involve our members with planning the Union’s events.
- To collate suggestions received via these means and publish them, detailing the outcome and how they were considered.
- That documents on planning and research for the Union’s biggest events, such as Graduation Ball and Freshers’ Week, be available to members in an easily accessible and publicised location on the SUSU Website.
- The Union President to implement this policy for the 2015/16 academic year.