Accessible events (1415P26)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: Student Life
Passed: 08/06/2015 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- Events such as election result nights or award ceremonies often feature a raised stage.
- SUSU exists to enrich the life of EVERY student
- The valuing diversity policy states that we should 'actively encourage participation from groups that are not usually involved in SUSU activities' and work towards providing a welcoming environment to all.
- An accessibility discussion took place in November and highlighted the problem of stages at events.
- All events requiring audience members to go up on stage should be completely accessible.
- To use raised stages only where absolutely necessary.
- To provide a ramp (or other means of access) where reasonably practical for wheelchair users if a raised stage is used, using the legal meaning of the word practical.
- The Union President and VP Welfare are to ensure that all events featuring a raised stage are assessed and are made accessible to wheelchair users where reasonably practical and safe to do so.