Securing Night-time Student Safety (1415P27)
Status: Lapsed | Zone: Student Life
Passed: 08/06/2015 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- At present SUSU provides a Safety Bus to transport our members from Highfield Campus and from nightlife venues in Bevois Valley to any destination within a five mile radius or to the Winchester School of Art.
- At present SUSU provides an Emergency Taxi Scheme in which students who run out of money can exchange their Student ID with the driver who will recover the fare from the Union.
- These services are not supported through the policies or the Rules of this Union thereby not securing a continued service in future.
- Points 11.1, 11.2 and 11.4 of the Union Plan to 2015 which states “We will develop stronger working partnerships with … external agencies and organisations”, “We will create partnerships for mutual gain, pursuing outcomes with a positive impact” and “We will forge links with other Students’ Unions” respectively.
- The Highfield Safety Bus is well used and provides an important welfare service to our members.
- At present the Nightclubs in Bevois Valley are taking advantage of the Portswood Safety Bus service by utilising it to negate their duty of care to their customers; negatively impacting upon the welfare of our members.
- It is our purpose to protect our members by ensuring they are well supported to take responsibility for their own wellbeing and safety on a night out.
- The promotion of these services is insufficient at present, both online and in print.
- That working in partnership with key organisations on improving student safety will benefit our members.
- To run a safety bus service from Highfield Campus every night during term time between until the last Union venue closes, including Union Films.
- To ensure that trained support personnel are present outside the Nightclubs in Bevois Valley on the regular student nights to ensure students are feeling safe and can get home safely, with the ability to arrange for transport for vulnerable students where this is required and where no other option is available
- To maximise physical and online marketing to communicate safety messages and the available services, including the provision in Bevois Valley, to our members.
- To make every effort to maintain a safe taxi scheme with a local taxi service.
- The VP Welfare to create a plan for support provision at Bevois Valley, to include the presence of trained support personnel on regular student nights.
- The VP Welfare and Student Life Zone to run campaigns on student safety in collaboration with appropriate partners in the city.