Supporting the 'HeForShe' Campaign (1415P6)
Status: Active | Zone: Equality
Passed: 20/03/2015 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- That the ‘HeForShe’ Campaign was launched by UN Women in September 2014 (http://www.heforshe.org/).
- That the ‘HeForShe’ Campaign is an international effort designed to encourage men and boys to become advocates for gender equality, in the political, economic and social arenas.
- That the ‘HeForShe’ Campaign seeks to put an end to discrimination, inequality and violence against women.
- That approximately 44% of the student population at the University of Southampton are male.
- The Valuing Diversity Policy (Ref: 1011P19) passed on 17th May 2011 (http://blogs.susu.org/policy/2011/05/17/valuing-diversity-policy/).
- That gender inequality is one of the most persistent human rights issues of our time.
- That SUSU has the potential to engage thousands of young men with the ‘HeForShe’ Campaign.
- That the ‘HeForShe’ campaign is worth publicly supporting as a Students’ Union.
- To publicly and actively support the ‘HeForShe’ Campaign.
- To lobby the University of Southampton to also actively support the ‘HeForShe’ Campaign.
- The Sustainability Zone Committee to ensure that this policy is being fulfilled and implement an action plan to ensure this.