Supporting the National Action Week (1516P12)
Status: Active | Zone: Student Communities
Passed: 16/08/2016 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- 1. Junior doctors and medical students have been taking part in strike action to protest against proposed changes to contracts.
2. The Student Assembly against Austerity have organised a national week of action which aims at raising awareness of the recent proposed changes to – Bursaries, Junior Doctor contracts and changes to nurse education.
3. The working group created in policy 1516P7, aims to campaign to raise awareness of the proposed changes to the NHS Bursary.
4. 11 Student Unions have given their support to the national action week.
5. The week of action is on w/c 8th February 2016.
- 1. The aim of a Student’s Union is to represent students both within the institution and externally, including on local and national issues such as the junior doctor’s strike.
2. Southampton University’s Students Union aims to unlock the potential and enrich the life of every student, including that of Southampton’s current Medical Students and Health Science students.
3. The issues proposed will affect every Medical Student and Health Science student, and ultimately everyone who receives NHS treatment.
1. To allow the working group created in Policy 1516P7 to take the leadership on running this campaign.
2. To amend Policy 1516P7 with the following.
· Include Medsoc President and MedSoc Faculty Officer as permanent members of the working group.
3. To use various campaign channels (Including Facebook and Twitter) to communicate about the national action week, raising awareness of the proposed changes, and generally raising awareness about people’s different professions within the NHS, and how they contribute to care.
- 1. That the Union and all relevant sabbatical officers adhere to this policy, providing support and space for Medical and Health Science students to campaign.