Students are stronger in Europe (1516P13)
Status: Active | Zone: External Engagement
Passed: 16/08/2016 |
This policy was discussed at the following meetings:
- 1. The position of Universities UK in supporting the ‘Remain’ campaign for reasons pertaining to funding, migration and diversity.
2. EU Funding is more than 15% of research income at the University[i]
3. The number of European students studying at Southampton
4. The number of students spending a year abroad in Europe as part of their studies
5. Not all students will support ‘Remain’ and their views must be provided with a platform if requested.
- 1. It has a duty to fairly inform students on the EU campaign since it will patently affect their University career.
2. That it is right and responsible for the Union to take a pro-‘Remain’ position in light of Union Notes 1, 2 and 3.
- 1. That in light of Union Notes 4, the Union will provide balanced presentation of the facts around the European Union
2. The Union will actively facilitate a ‘Remain’ campaign
3. The Union will offer platform to students who wish to promote a ‘Leave’ campaign
4. After and alongside neutral presentation of the facts, to support the ‘Remain’ campaign in light of Union Notes 1, 2 and 3 and its responsibility to students.
Sorry, there are no Mandates for this policy