Whether you want to voice your opinions, debate competitively, or just improve your public speaking and self-confidence, the debating union has you covered.
Come along to one of our weekly practice sessions to hone your skills through a variety of activities and debates. Our sessions are very accessible and designed so that everyone, from veteran debaters to people too shy to speak at first, are able to take part and enjoy themselves. We also run other events each week, which can include big debates with guest speakers, collaborations with other societies, competitions, socials, and more.
Feel free to drop in, and follow us on social media to stay up to date with our events.
About Debating UnionSchedule:
* Tuesdays 18:00 (6/1077) - rotation of...
1) Topic debates e.g. science & technology, history of art, economics, politics etc. (for and against, an audience debate and Q&A)
2) External speakers debates
* Thursdays 18:00 (6/1077) - BP competitive debating practice with short training sessions. Internal competitions.
If you get a membership you can keep up to date about the specific sessions by e-mail. Also, follow us on our social media - University of Southampton Debating Union on Facebook, @sotonunidebate on Twitter and IG!
Membership Fee Information
These are the current membership fees offered by Debating Union, although many clubs and societies offer a free period for new members to try out their activities.
|Free Membership||FREE||01/07/2019 - 30/06/2020||Free access to weekly practice sessions and socials. Also includes access for most internal debates unless stated otherwise.|
All clubs and societies within the Students' Union are run entirely by students. The student committee for Debating Union this year are:
- Jordan Scott
- Peter Kirk
- James McNealey
- Laura Capitelli
- James Channon
- Ethan Toogood
- Saleha Noor
- Kayleigh Littlemore
- Lewis Mott
Social Media and Publicity Officer
- Constantin-Marian Coica
- Thomas Clabon
Speaker Coordination Officer
- Norwyn Crame
- Joshua Spicer
Health & Safety
All clubs & societies are required to risk assess their activity to ensure it is carried out in a safe manner for members. Current risk assessments for Debating Union are available to view below
- Approved Southampton Open 2017 Risk Assessment (22/08/2018)
- Approved Practice Sessions Risk Assessment (14/05/2020)
- Approved Socials (Similar to Practice Sessions) (14/05/2020)
- Approved Debating Games Social (14/05/2020)
- Approved KCL Debating Competition (14/05/2020)
- Approved Bristol Debating Competition (14/05/2020)