- Tuesdays 18:20
- 'Roundtable discussions' - discussing & debating current issues in groups
- 'Deep dives' - invite speakers from different societies / lecturers / experts e.g. talks on Artificial Intelligence
- External debates - we invite experts on topical issues e.g. Was the UK right to ban Huawei?
- Socials e.g. drunk debating, games night, quiz socials, bowling etc.
- Thursdays 18:20
- British Parliamentary Debate practice
- Short training sessions
- Internal competitions e.g. our annual Freshers competition
If you get a membership you can keep up to date about the specific sessions by e-mail. Also, follow us on our social media by clicking the red links - University of Southampton Debating Union on Facebook, @sotonunidebate on Twitter and Instagram!
All clubs and societies within the Students' Union are run entirely by students. The student committee for Debating Union this year are:
British Parliamentary Debating Officer
Equity and Welfare Officer
Member Without Portfolio
Social Media and Publicity Officer
Speaker Coordination Officer
You May Also Like...
Here are a selection of similar clubs and societies that you may also be interested in
These are the current membership fees offered by Debating Union, although many clubs and societies offer a free period for new members to try out their activities.
|Year Membership||FREE||30/09/2020 - 30/06/2021||Access to debate sessions and ability to sign up for competitons. Some free socials however does not cover all fees for them.|
All SUSU clubs & societies must have a Constitution which governs how they runDownload Constitution
Health & Safety
All clubs & societies are required to risk assess their activity to ensure it is carried out in a safe manner for members. Current risk assessments for Debating Union are available to view below