Our society is aimed at making our campus, green spaces and local community in Southampton safer for hedgehogs. Due to the fact that universities have vast amount of green spaces, it is important to us to make sure they are wildlife friendly.
The Hedgehog Friendly Campus scheme is run by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society who have given us a list of challenges that we can complete to receive bronze, silver and gold accreditation for our university. Currently Southampton has been given a silver award and we are now working towards gold!
There are a range of tasks that you can get involved with us such as:
- Completing annual campus hedgehog surveys (free training and resources provided by us).
- Documentary nights.
- Hosting Hedgehog House Building workshops in conjunction with your university Grounds team.
- Raising awareness and campaigning in the local community.
- Give It A Go events such as building habitat piles/log piles on campus.
- Getting involved in planting sessions in conjunction with your university Grounds team.
- Hosting talks on solutions to hedgehog decline.
- Running awareness campaigns to help hedgehogs (e.g. Bonfire Night).
- Hosting online quizzes on hedgehogs.
- Fundraising for the British Hedgehog Preservation Society.
Please follow any of our media channels below to stay in touch about future events.
You can also be recognised as a hedgehog ambassador by signing up to the British Hedgehog Preservation Society where you will be accredited and given a personalised certificate and CV reference for volunteering with us - sign up using the following link and use the registration code (192), also under "teams" select the University of Southampton. https://www.greenimpact.org.uk/hedgehogfriendlycampus/login
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sotonhedgehogfriendlycampus
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/sotonhogfriendly/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/uoshfc
All clubs and societies within the Students' Union are run entirely by students. The student committee for Hedgehog Friendly Campus this year are:
Environmental Action Officer
You May Also Like...
Here are a selection of similar clubs and societies that you may also be interested in
These are the current membership fees offered by Hedgehog Friendly Campus, although many clubs and societies offer a free period for new members to try out their activities.
|Year Membership||FREE||01/10/2022 - 30/09/2023||Regular email updates on all events, socials and fundraisers for HFC Southampton! Also, you will have the opportunity to attend hedgehog surveys with us and be accredited with your own personalised certificate and CV reference|
All SUSU clubs & societies must have a Constitution which governs how they run
Health & Safety
All clubs & societies are required to risk assess their activity to ensure it is carried out in a safe manner for members. Current risk assessments for Hedgehog Friendly Campus are available to view below