Print

Equality and Diversity Committee (22nd January 2016)

Minutes

Switch to Agenda

Name of Committee Equality and Diversity Committee
Date and time 22nd January 2016, 15:30
Place Board Room
Present Members
(voting)
Vice President Welfare Sam Bailey
LGBT Coordinator (Equality & Diversity Committee) Luke Gosling
Coordinator without Portfolio (Equality & Diversity Committee) Natalie Rowell
Student with Disabilities Coordinator (Equality & Diversity Committee) Alexander Stones
Equality & Diversity Officer Caitlin Doyle
Race & Ethnicity Coordinator (Equality & Diversity Committee) Daisy Watkins
Coordinator without Portfolio (Equality & Diversity Committee) Frazer Delves
Faith & Religion Coordinator Bruno Russell
Absent with Apologies Vice President Student Communities Arun Aggarwal
Gender Identity Coordinator (Equality & Diversity Committee) Georgia Wakeley

Actions and Decisions

TypeDescriptionWho
Action Caitlin to look at dates for the rainbow hand prints events. Caitlin Doyle
Action Caitlin to divide the work up for the Gender Neutral Toilet map project. Caitlin Doyle
Action Sam to report back from Student Success project meeting. Sam Bailey
Action Sam to report back about events for National Eating Disorder week. Sam Bailey
1. Welcome and apologies

Caitlin welcomed everyone to the meeting. Apologies were received from Luke, Anjit and Georgia.

2. LGBT History Month update
  • The University had organised a film screening on Friday 26th January, with publicity from the LGBT+ Society.
  • The LGBT+ Society had organised a trip to Student Pride in February as well as showing several films across the month. They were also planning on doing the rainbow handprint event. Caitlin also suggested doing a charity night out, led by the LGBT+ society.
  • A campaign was being planned looking to get sports teams participating in the rainbow laces campaign.
  • Hampshire Pride would be taking place on Saturday 27th February, with minibuses booked to take people up there and a banner, which had been bought for the event.
  • A multimedia project was also underway, organised by the media groups.
Action Caitlin to look at dates for the rainbow hand prints events. (Caitlin Doyle)
3. Gender Neutral Toilet Map

The Committee agreed to go forward with this project and to divide the work up between themselves.

Action Caitlin to divide the work up for the Gender Neutral Toilet map project. (Caitlin Doyle)
4. Change Your Future Week activities

Sam reported that they were currently deciding on a name for Sustainability Week to make it more engaging and appealing to people. Activities include the Inspiring Women event as well as events held by societies.

Frazer spoke about how the He For She campaign could fit in with International Women’s Week, by getting people to sign up to the campaign using iPads on campus. Bruno said it would be good to get people to think about the meaning behind the campaign instead of just signing up. The Committee also discussed the feasibility of getting a statement from the Vice Chancellor saying that he supports the campaign as the Equality and Diversity champion for the University.

5. Inspiring Women

Sam said that they were looking to invite a wide range of people in for the event covering areas such as business and sport. Caitlin said that someone from a charity would be good. Sam also said it would be good to get a female comedian down, and Tori said that they had the idea of having an all women Laughter Lounge. Sam asked the Committee to email any suggestions of people that they could invite.

6. Student Success project

Sam spoke about the University looking at groups who don't usually come to University and how they access support whilst at University. Sam said that he was attending an initial meeting looking at stats and where the opportunities are to do better.

Action Sam to report back from Student Success project meeting. (Sam Bailey)
7. Elections
8. Any Other Business

Sam spoke about the new Sustainability at SUSU Facebook Page and said that they are developing a plan for how the Committees would contribute to it.

Sam also spoke the Valuing Diversity Policy, which is up for review in the ongoing Policy Review and would report back on any progress.

Daisy brought up National Eating Disorder week happening at the end of February and asked if SUSU was planning on doing anything. Sam said that he would speak to the relevant people in Student Life Zone and report back.

 

As there was no other business, the meeting was closed at 16:40.

Action Sam to report back about events for National Eating Disorder week. (Sam Bailey)

Key: P (Papers Provided), PF (Papers to Follow)