Print

Student Communities Zone (14th November 2016)

Minutes

Switch to Agenda

Name of Committee Student Communities Zone
Date and time 14th November 2016, 14:00
Place Building 40,Room 5
Present Members
(voting)
Postgraduate (Research) Students Officer Giles Howard
Union President Alex Hovden
Vice President Engagement Dan Varley
Vice President Student Communities Flora Noble
National Oceanography Centre (Site) Officer Yasmin Yu
Student Communities Zone Student Group Representative Christelle Li San Cheung
Absent with Apologies Medical Society President Jahangir Jingy Alom
Equality and Diversity Officer Frazer Delves
Halls Officer Samantha Higman
Winchester Campus President Rebecca Willis
International Students' Officer Athena Liu

Actions and Decisions

TypeDescriptionWho
Action Ashley Hunt to look at Pigeon Hole Facilities at Highfield for NOC Officer to access
Action Flora Noble and Yasmin Yu to look at the provisions for a Screen to be placed in the NOC Common Room. Yasmin Yu
Action Flora Noble to speak to contact at Uni Link regarding transportation to NOC.
Action Flora Noble to begin preparation on setting up the International Students Experience Board
Action Ashley Hunt to send email to Student Communities Zone asking for nominees for representation on Senate and the Operations & Services Advisory Boards
Action Flora Noble and Ashley Hunt to meet with Yasmin Yu before festive break to look at the NOC Officers budget
Action Cameron Meldrum to take proposal to the Democracy Zone for further feedback
Student Communities Zone
1. Apologies
2. Introductions and Round Up

Flora Noble (FN - VP Communities) welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Yasmin Yu (YY - National Oceanography Centre Officer) gave an update on NOC. YY explained that she had found information in the common room to be out of date. YY advised that she could collect information from Highfield and take to NOC. Scott McCarthy (SM - Chief Executive) suggested that a screen be placed in the NOC Common Room. FN advised that these have been purchased from the 15/16 budget.

YY referred to point two of her focuses for the year ahead with regards to travel to NOC. YY explained that this can often take around 1 hour from Highfield Campus and had the potential to affect student experience. 

YY had been in contact with staff at NOC regarding drop in services from the Union. YY waiting on dates and will advise the Union on when best to look at holding Advice Drop In's and Linked in Labs. 

Giles Howard (GH - Postgraduate Research Officer) discussed his action points for the year ahead. GH explained that he aimed to get a full committee in place, scale back the coffee and cake drop in's. GH advised that this is a costly activity to run and that attendance had dropped. GH added that he is looking to run an Xmas event for Post Grads. 

GH explained that he had been in contact with the Doctorial College regarding pay for PGR's who deliver teaching. GH  added that many PGR's earn the less than minimum wage for the teaching the prepare and delivery. GH further added that he is working closely with Sonia Cottrell and the Doctoral College on employment law for PGR students. 

Action Ashley Hunt to look at Pigeon Hole Facilities at Highfield for NOC Officer to access
Action Flora Noble and Yasmin Yu to look at the provisions for a Screen to be placed in the NOC Common Room. (Yasmin Yu)
Action Flora Noble to speak to contact at Uni Link regarding transportation to NOC.
3. Full Time Officer Plan

FN discussed her Full Time Officer plan.  FN highlighted that engagement with Health Sciences Students, Mature Students and Student Parents and International Student groups were a high priority. FN advised that she had planned to begin preparation on an International Students Experience Board before the festive break. GH added that this is needed as many PG's are international students and are concerned about the current political situation. 

Action Flora Noble to begin preparation on setting up the International Students Experience Board
4. Focus Areas for Student Communities

Ashley Hunt (AH - Zone Coordinator) fed back actions points (see attached) on behalf of the Winchester School of Art President (Rebecca Willis), International Officer (Athena Liu), Halls Officer (Sam Higman), Students Group Representative (Christelle Li San Cheung) and the Equality & Diversity Officer (Frazer Delves). 

AH fed back on behalf of the University of Southampton Student Association Malaysia Campus (USSA). AH advised that the USSA will be feeding back an update through each Student Communities Zone Committee.

The committee discussed budgets. It was reiterated that Student Officers had budgets available which they are to use to facilitate events, activities and campaigns.  

 

 

Action Flora Noble and Ashley Hunt to meet with Yasmin Yu before festive break to look at the NOC Officers budget
5. By-Laws

By - Laws unable to be ratified due to quorate. 

6. You Make Change

FN advised that there where no You Make Change for the Student Communities Zone

7. Short Term Action Points
8. Representation

As the meeting was not quorate it was decided that representation from the Student Communties Zone for Senate and the Operations & Services Advisory board would be Round Robined. 

Action Ashley Hunt to send email to Student Communities Zone asking for nominees for representation on Senate and the Operations & Services Advisory Boards
9. AOB

Cameron Meldrum (CM -VP Democracy & Creative Industries) discussed the propasal of moving Halls from the Student Communities Zone to the Engagement Zone. CM discussed that the feeling was that the Engagement Zone would be better suited to working with first year students, leaving the Student Communities Zone to focus on students groups who are traditonally harder to reach. 

Action Cameron Meldrum to take proposal to the Democracy Zone for further feedback

Key: P (Papers Provided), PF (Papers to Follow)