Print

Student Groups Committee (20th February 2017)

Minutes

Switch to Agenda

Name of Committee Student Groups Committee
Date and time 20th February 2017, 13:00
Place Meeting Room 1
Present Members
(voting)
Student Enterprise Officer Serban Berariu
Clubs and Societies Officer Michael Sims
Vice President Democracy and Creative Industries Cameron Meldrum
Performing Arts Officer George Smith
Student Communities Zone Representative Christelle Li San Cheung
Community & Volunteering Officer Jessica Parkes
Sports Participation Officer Olivia Owen
Absent with Apologies Student Activities Assistant Karen Lawrence
Absent without Apologies AU Officer Jack Harvey
Education Zone Representative Andrew Bamford
Creative Industries Zone Representative Christopher Wright

Actions and Decisions

TypeDescriptionWho
Decision This group was affiliated to the Education zone
Decision Committee voted to affiliate to the External Engagement Zone 
Decision Committee voted not to affiliate this group
Decision Committee voted to affiliate to the Student Communities Zone 
Decision Committee voted to affiliate to the Education Zone 
Decision The committee voted to not affiliate this group
Action Deferred until next meeting
Action Reps to ask groups when the best time for conferences is
Action CM will set drop in’s for student group consultations and advertise Cameron Meldrum
Action NE to send categories from 2016 now and to inform committee when further information is released Nic Eldred
Decision This cannot be approved in it's current form
Action Policy on fines and student groups to be drafted as committee feel that policy is necessary CM and MS to do this. Michael Sims, Cameron Meldrum
Action Send out AGM deadlines Nic Eldred
Action Arrange next meeting Nic Eldred
Affiliations
1. Geophysics Society
2. Motor Neurone Society
3. Facebook Games Society
4. Turkic and Baltic Society
5. Crime and Forensics Society
6. Cocktail Society
7. Miracle Messages (Written)

The committee felt that this could be a project within an existing group as was mentioned in the application (already working with HOMED and Society of St James)

Decision The committee voted to not affiliate this group
Student Groups Project
8. Update and Consultation

CM and TP presented an update to student group’s project

There was discussion and questions around the presentation, however overall the changes were received positively.  Some specific comments and feedback is noted below.  There will be further consultation

Key changes

  • Grants
  • Health and Wellbeing role and training
  • 3 development levels (Developing, Established and Plus) and no support packages
  • Name change back to Clubs and Societies
  • Groups Hub changes and updates

Zone Campaigns grants

  • Groups Reps should be involved in setting those to avoid clashing priorities
  • What happens if a groups wants to join a campaigning and we don’t fund them - could lead to apathy rather than advocacy
  • Felt that all groups should at least have the opportunity to attend the Bunfight, but not necessarily guaranteed space

Zone conference timings

After some discussion and feedback this should take place just after Taster Weekend (2nd week of Freshers) and not before or during freshers

Action Reps to ask groups when the best time for conferences is
Action CM will set drop in’s for student group consultations and advertise (Cameron Meldrum)
National Societies Awards
9. Nominations

MS highlighted the 2nd Annual National Society Awards and that we want to submit nominations this year.  It is NUS supported, but we can access it.  This years will be hosted at the University of Nottingham Students’ Union.

 

NE reminded committee that this is for Societies and not Sports Clubs (the national distinction)

Action NE to send categories from 2016 now and to inform committee when further information is released (Nic Eldred)
Any Other Business
10. Vixen's Constitution

TP submitted Vixen’s updated constitution.

There was a lot of discussion around the issues of fining members and discipline and whether this was appropriate and when

In summary,

  • Fining of members, and how appropriate this was, regarding the circumstances - missing sessions and bag packing does not seem appropriate. Damage of equipment is understandable. Consistent missing of sessions, can be handled in other manners
  • Issues with the strike system - matters such as attitude are confusing, and bring about the wrong idea
  • Only women, by constitution, are punishable
  • There was concern about the welfare of members, as fines can put mental and financial difficulties on members
  • This does not fit with the open, and fair atmosphere we aim to produce at the Union

 

NE noted that the use of gender pronouns ‘girls’ was inappropriate and should be changed to reflect an open and diverse membership

 

NE highlighted that it might be best not to include all committee positions as it means it can’t be changed easily year to year based on priorities and demands

Decision This cannot be approved in it's current form
Action Policy on fines and student groups to be drafted as committee feel that policy is necessary CM and MS to do this. (Michael Sims, Cameron Meldrum)
11. Date of next meeting

Week Commencing 20th March

Action Send out AGM deadlines (Nic Eldred)
Action Arrange next meeting (Nic Eldred)

Key: P (Papers Provided), PF (Papers to Follow)