Questions answered by Full Time Officers unless otherwise stated.
1. The football table was originally purchased for NOC but is now being used in other areas.
Flora confirmed that the table football wasn't being used after it was purchased. It spent a long time still in its box but since being put together at Highfield it has been used frequently for different events and socials which is a positive use of the funds. The NOC common room is an ongoing issue that is being looked at - an update requested on the work going on at NOC to be brought to the next senate.
2. Can we have an update on the closure of Bencraft Halls and do we know what will happen to members of the Halls Committee?
Flora informed Senate that the University has now confirmed that Bencraft will be closed and that this is a good decision based on it being the lowest offering from the University in terms of accommodation. Next year the VP Engagement will be taking on Halls. As for the Bencraft Halls Committee, they will go on to join underrepresented halls committees to use the skills they have gained in their roles so far.
3. What is the process for halls accommodation prices?
The University ultimately decides on the prices, it is increased every year as is the case with the majority of rent prices. The report that the university provides to the Union is then signed off by the VP Student Communities.
4. Can the Union investigate the increase to help students who can’t afford the new prices?
Flora explained that it is a national trend and Southampton University is still among the lowest priced halls. Item made into an action for next Senate – comparison stats and update on investigation.
1. Can we have an update on the awards for volunteers?
Dan clarified that this is in reference to Badges on LinkedIn profiles to be awarded to volunteers. The content has been produced and is in progress but the launch date has not been decided yet.
2. Who decides on the EVAs awards?
Dan confirmed to Senate that it is decided by the full-time officer for each zone.
1. Can we have an update on the showcase pieces for sites project?
Cameron was able to confirm that the walk around the sites did happen but that this project has now been taken on by the Acting Entertainments Manager.
2. How successful has the work to increase WSA societies been?
Cameron confirmed that there have been 3 new affiliations this year which is a really positive step towards more societies and activities at WSA.
1. What is the process for the logo redesign now after the Tap Choose Change?
Alex confirmed that the switch over will happen at the end of June and that the design won’t have any further sign off after the Tap Choose Change.
2. Can we have an update on the Union App? Will it be continued by the new Union President next year?
Alex is still working on the project consultation although he is not 100% sure whether students will want the separate app to go ahead. If students agree that they would like the app then work will continue and everything that Alex has put into the project so far will be passed on to Flora.
Flora has confirmed that the app is not a priority for her time as President unless is not too expensive. The main priority for Flora is to work on creating a user friendly website.
3. Update on the Governance Review.
Alex confirmed that work is still ongoing - he also told Senate that he would bring changes before the end of the year.
Tom – Not present, questions to be sent via email.
1. Update on free printing project.
Elliot clarified that he wasn’t able to provide too much detail at the moment as it may not be feasible. He is currently in discussion with a company call ‘All I want is print’ who provide free printing so long as each page holds a banner ad. He also confirmed that this idea needed to be brought to iSolutions.