Hi there, thanks for the question. I don’t want to give a wishy washy answer about how much SUSU means to me, so to keep it short, to be SUSU is the student experience. I think my experience at University has been more influenced by societies then anything else. I have about 2 friends I met day 1 on my course and everyone else I have met has been through societies and SUSU in general. I think whatever your thoughts on SUSU are, there is no doubt that it provides a large amount of the community aspect of being at University and so many opportunities. I know there are the official 4 values which mean nothing to anyone and I really hate “describe something in 5 words” but I think community and opportunities are certainly the key values we should be promoting.
Candidate for Vice President Activities
- Provide more structure and support for committees
- Media involvement as standard for SUSU
- Lobby the University to make the Arts a bigger priority
- Better use of SUSU space; both storage and showcasing
- Help societies and students with commercial ventures
Why vote for me?
Hi, I'm Fiona and I'm re-running for the role of Vice-President Activities. This year I've worked on areas such as restructuring grants, recognising/supporting committees and strengthening the relationship with Arts at UoS.
I am passionate about SUSU and being so involved in societies myself, I understand how important it is to the student experience and already being in the role I know that I make a real difference.
My plans if re-elected:
Support for societies
- It can be difficult for new committees taking over particularly during exams/summer. I want to introduce a clear checklist of what needs to be done when to make it really easy for committees to work together and keep track of what is expected.
- I want to implement a club/society calendar for committees so all information about what’s happening will be in one place.
- I’d like to provide more training, so committees are confidently able to run their societies and take valuable knowledge away with them.
- With limited funds available in grant rounds, I’d like to work with societies to help find other sources of funding, particularly sponsorship.
Student Groups (Creative Industries/External Engagement)
- I want media groups to be recognised as a core part of SUSU events. Particularly I’d like to start a ‘Question Time’ ran by media groups as part of Senate meetings, to give them a platform to hold officers to account.
- Recently I organised a ‘Live Music Week’, I’d like to work with PA so that we can hold regular small events like this for societies to showcase what they are doing.
- Make more of the Enterprise Fund, starting by investing more money (from external partners and reallocating EE budget).
- Work with the RAG to put on SUSU charity events as part of our events programme to both promote RAG and to make our events more appealing and worthwhile.
- With some new storage being available soon, I’d like to look at how we manage the storage we have, making sure it is used effectively and how it’s accessed (alternatives to keys).
- I’d like to work with the University to try and create/allocate storage space at sites so that societies have the option to meet at sites as there’s so much unused space, particularly at Avenue.
- The event booking process at SUSU is inefficient. I would like to move it online so that it is easier, clearer to track and processed a lot quicker.
- I’d like to continue to work with Arts at UoS and lobby the University to consider the Arts a higher priority.
- With the heart of campus project underway, I want to ensure that the needs of societies are considered and also to work to structure a consistent opportunity for societies to perform on campus.
- Work with the Enterprise team to help societies/students pursue projects and provide regular networking sessions.
Once again, thank you if you actually made it to the end of this, and if you have any more questions you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions & Answers Ask me a Question
Hi there, thanks for the question. If I’m completely honest this isn’t something that’s been on my radar. As far as I’m aware there hasn’t been a visible drop - currently over half of students are registered as being in a society and I’m sure there are many more that are casually involved/take part in their events. I think the only thing particularly I’d like to do with this is to have more small-scale bunfight style events. This year I’ve held a few mini bunfights and having them in categories worked really well for getting people interested in a general area to look at societies they might not otherwise have come across - I’d like to look into doing some of these at different points in the year. I’m happy to further clarify anything, you can email me at email@example.com
Fiona has not spent any of their budget yet