Vice President Sports
- Increase participation in sports
- Help with societies with club management
- Increasing publicity of Team Southampton
- Lobby for expansion of sport funding and facilities
- Focus on welfare within sport
Vote Olivia Reed Number 1 #4spORt
Hi, my name’s Olivia. I’m a third year politics student and have been involved in sport at Southampton as a club captain/president, member of the Athletics Union Committee and Sports Participation Committee.
As VP Sports I would like to focus of providing an excellent environment for casual and competitive sport users. I would also seek to address the main barriers to sports participation; notably finance, intimidation and recruitment.
- Aiming to increase participation in sports, focusing on encouraging students to engage and try out new sports
- Introduce a ‘Sport’s Club of the Week’ initiative and ‘Give it a Go’ campaign to help clubs with recruitment, publicity and opportunity awareness.
- Run a ‘Disability Awareness’ campaign and to highlight sporting opportunities for people with disabilities, including invisible disabilities.
- Create a Review system for members to rate and recommend societies, allowing society members to help drive recruitment.
- Increase the excitement around sport in preparation for the 2020 Olympics and other national and international events.
- Help with societies on club management including finances, membership, grant applications and admin.
- Making more information available around club management and having specific training for committee members.
- Ensure clubs are aware of who to contact and turn to for any questions or concerns.
- Increasing publicity of Team Southampton success' and upcoming fixtures to share clubs achievements and events
- Have a Sports eNewsletter to share upcoming sporting news and events as well as Team Southampton achievements.
- Increase publicity of upcoming events for people to be able to support home games and competitions.
- Lobby for expansion of sport funding and facilities, and support the initiation of the current sports strategy to the university
- Try to unify the communication and working between SUSU and Sport and Wellbeing.
- Continue to review and explore storage options available to clubs and societies.
- Focus on welfare within sport, and the welfare benefits provided through sport
- Continue to support welfare training for sports representatives and continue to support decreasing initiations and hazing.
- Lead a focused Sport & Mental Health campaign
- Free sport sessions during exam periods to help alleviate stress
- Campaign for Mental Health awareness and the positive role sport has to offer.
- Improving social and casual exercise availability
- Work with intermural committee to support the IM sports leagues specifically in publicity and costs.
- Lobby for more summer sports availability, particularly to support international and postgraduate students
- Try to alleviate feelings of intimidation from sport through support initiatives such as an online ‘gym buddies’ platform.
- Look at developing a free sports programme at the university including free classes, activities and facilities such as a green gym.
Thanks for taking the time to read my manifesto. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a message or check out my Facebook page at www.fb.com/VoteOliviaReed
Vote Olivia Reed Number 1 from the 6th to 8th of March!