Hi there! I’m Fleur and I want to be your new VP Welfare and Community!
As your Equality and Diversity Officer for 18/19, I’ve experienced working with both VP Welfare and VP Student Communities, and within multiple student zones. This is why I believe I would make your ideal VP Welfare and Community.
I will endeavour to:
- Create a leaflet for students about the mental health resources available in Southampton,how to access these, and information about waiting times
- Clearer information about how to utilise enabling services, apply for special considerations, etc
- Establish a mental health support system specifically for postgraduates by creating a working group with the postgraduate committee and University
- Pair “You Are More Than” events with SUSU initiatives to help students throughout the entire academic year- not just exam periods (including more support to students on placement)
- Improving resources for sexual assault survivors on campus
I was diagnosed with Bipolar-II in my first year, with no idea what support was available to me. This shouldn’t be the norm- students should be provided with information on how to get help before things get bad, not forced to search for it once they’ve hit rock bottom.
EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY
- Ensure all social media content provided by SUSU affiliated societies are accessible for people with disabilities
- Ensure sustainable initiatives are not introduced at the cost of disabled students
- Improve visibility of commemoration periods, such as Trans Awareness Week and Black History Month
- Training sessions for society committees about the importance of inclusive language
- All toilets on all campuses to provide sanitary bins regardless of gender
- Push the University to provide more gender-neutral toilets
- More support for student parents, regardless of age, e.g. making SUSU events more child friendly
- Work with VP-Activities and International Officer to improve engagement for international students in clubs and societies
- More SUSU events to be available for all students (medics, nurses, etc)
- Fight for longer opening hours in SUSU spaces during “vacation period” (which it isn’t for postgraduates, students on placement, etc)
- Work on different sites (WSA, SGH) every week, ensuring I am approachable to all students- not just those on Highfield
I don’t agree with the term ‘hard-to-reach-students’- The Union just needs to improve at being more inclusive to all student groups.
HOUSING & SAFETY
- Introduce “How Do I Get Home?” pack - a resource for students providing walking and public transportation routes around Southampton and Winchester
- Increase support for housing, particularly for international students, students returning from year abroads or year in placements
- Introduce safeguarding system for students on nights’ out
- Pressure the University to make sustainable changes (turn the lights off at night!?!)
- Create partnerships with eco-friendly, sustainable, local businesses
- Introduce an initiative encouraging students to donate unwanted household appliances (toasters, kettles, microwaves, etc)
Let’s make a change we can be proud of.
Keep up with my campaign at fb.me/Fleur4WelfareCommunity
Ask me on Twitter @infleurtile and remember to
Vote Fleur #1 for VP Welfare and Community! #IPreferFleur