Wessex Scene has profoundly impacted my life, and as Editor I want to give back.
- Two years on Wessex Scene committee as Opinion and Politics Editor.
- Work experience with: The Week, Dorset Echo and Northern & Shell Media Group.
- 6 months as Editorial Assistant for local start-up publication Tru.
- Assistant judge for awards ceremony ran by the Society of Professional Journalists in the US.
- Active writer for several publications.
- Continue with topical magazines i.e. a human rights-dedicated issue to tie in with Human Rights Day in December and to utilize our Human Rights Training by SPA
- More engagement with local issues with features, liveblogs and interviews.
- Continuing with student surveys and investigations into the university and Union.
- Diversity: encouraging contributions from and collaborations with marginalised individuals and groups to become a more representative publication.
- Increasing Wessex Scene’s representation at halls and other campuses with distribution days, socials, increased availability of magazines and a committee position dedicated to outreach.
- Utilising social media platforms and features to be more interactive.
- Incentivisation: competitions for the audience and awards for contributors.
- Utilize Union/society connections for more collaborations.
- More socials for contributors to give a more community feeling.
- An #AskWessexScene social media feature for questions related to employability and careers in media.
- Increasing connections with Wessex Scene/Edge alumni by inviting them back to the university to talk about the industry and their post-graduate experiences.