How To Directory
- 1. How to Use Groups Hub
- 2. How to Manage Health & Safety
- 3. How to Make Your Society Inclusive
- 4. How to Book Facilities and Transport
- 5. How to Manage Your Money
- 6. How to Manage Equipment
- 7. How to Manage Communications
- 8. How to Run a Sports Club
- 9. How to Handover and Democratic Processes
- 10. How to Organise Events
- Involving Alumni
- Running an internal or external event
- Considering Health & Safety for your event
- Involving external speakers
- Adding an Event the the SUSU Calendar
- Promotion from SUSU
- Running an event outside SUSU premises
- Running your own charity event through RAG
- Creating a balanced programme of events
- Running an event on SUSU premises
- 11. How to Start a New Club or Society
- 12. Adopt a Society
- 13. COVID-19 specific information (Pre-March 2021)
- 14. Freshers 2021/22
Running your own charity event through RAG
Information on fundraising rules and regulations can be found in the Southampton RAG Fundraising Guide accessible here
There are many reasons why it is a good idea for you to run your fundraising event through RAG. All groups and students affiliated to or associated with the Students' Union wishing to raise money for charity MUST run the event through RAG.
The Students' Union is a Charity; charities cannot donate money to other charities, so the Students' Union developed a RAG department which is allowed by the Union's constitution to raise and donate money to charities.
Therefore, any money raised for any charity by an individual, club or society associated with the Students' Union MUST be sent through RAG accounts, and any fundraising activity must be approved by RAG first - this enables us to keep track of events.
This applies to money raised for any charity, not just the three RAG nominated charities and includes events on and off-campus.
BUT - That's not why we think you should run a fundraising event!
- The process has been designed to make things as easy as possible for you.
- The event forms do not take long to fill in and enable us to help you by providing equipment such as contactless payment machines.
- We process the donations for you, saving hours of time and effort.
- We send your donation directly to the charity on your behalf - making sure you get the credit for the funds raised of course!
Recognition for your efforts
- Every year RAG looks to beat last year’s student fundraising total. Your funds will contribute towards this, with totals announced monthly, at the end of the year online and on the big screen on the concourse.
- The Students' Union communications team love to report success stories and there is nothing better than Students and Societies raising money for a good cause! This could include promo via social media, a story on the website and more.
How it works
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know you want to run an event
- We'll send you the guidelines and forms you need.
- Complete them and send them back to us.
- When approved, collect your contactless card machine and run your event.
- As soon as you can after your event, bring contactless card machine into the Student Activities Office.
- We'll process and bank the money and send your donation to the charity of your choice.
- If we receive a "thank you" from the charity, we will forward this on to you (after all it was your hard work!)